1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone ever adopted animals from Farm Animal Shelters?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by babyboy1_mom, Oct 22, 2008.

1. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I am a member of waterfowl group and they are always sending me emails about waterfowl, geese and other animals that need a home. I received an email today that had a link to Farm Animal Shelters in it.

There were all types of animals that need homes. (Chickens, ducks, geese, goats, sheep, pigs, cows, etc.)

There are no animals that are close to me right now, but I was thinking about seeing what needed a home, closest to me and seeing about helping a homeless animal out.

I am just wondering what all of you think or if you have done business with Farm Animal Shelters.

The address is below if anyone would like to see what animals might be available in your areas.

(Link to Peta type group removed by staff)

Thanks,
    Dorothy

2. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    i have adopted three from Nevins shelter in methuen. Great place. I adopted chickens. erinM

3. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    Never have and probably wouldn't because most want such a high "re-homing fee" it just isn't worth.
    I know they have costs too but.........
    I'd rather just look for free to good home ads. [​IMG]
    Take care,
    Angela

4. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

The closet I come to adopting unwanted creatures is free unwanteds from the paper, you know the ones. Like the chicks that do make it through easter only to grow up to not be cute anymore. Or the goat that was cute when it was little but now it eats everything it gets near. And I do buy A LOT I mean a lot from the meat pens at our local farm auction. Do you know some people eat peacocks like they do turkeys? To me there are just some roosters that don't belong in a truck headed to a city deli they look much too nice as lawn ornaments for that. And there always seems to be a goat that has the save me eyes. I even have horses from meat pens. I also have gotten to have a local rep of taking in unwanted roos so I get calls every year wanted to know if I will take some. As long as they are not mean they are a welcome addition to my lard. At last count I think I have 18 free ranging right now.

Here is how I look at it.

If you get a chance to yes, save an unwanted creature, it does not matter where it comes from as long as you gave it a chance to have a happy, safe life. Yes it may not be the show bird some others are, but it may be something you don't see just every where too. Like the Iowa blues we got at auction this fall. But the fact is that most rescues do want crazy amounts for things like sexlinks. And if you would not pay that nomally for the animal why in the world would you do it to SAVE one. And please don't forget some rescues do need special care which costs money, do not take in something you can't afford to properly care for just to save it and have it become abandoned a second time cause you do not expect the extra cost.

Watch your local news papers and craigslist even the auctions if you like and save ones there. It wont hurt your wallet nearly as much and it will do a creature that is also unwanted a world of good.
    BJ

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I don't know about the other shelters, but I looked up one in Colorado, and it's run by Vegans, spouting the usual "no pets, no animals for any useful purpose" propaganda. No thanks...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    It shouldn't really matter who is running it if you are just looking to adopt an animal and care for it. I have adopted a few chickens from a farm shelter, and they were wonderful to have. The re-homing fee was about $10 each.

7. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I saw that too. I was pretty excited to be adopting from the Humane Society. I'd take more, but am pretty broke anyway, so the one was great for me to adopt.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2008
  8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Well, it does matter if you have to sign a contract stating that you won't eat the eggs, or drink milk from, or use to make more baby animals. At least, to me it makes a difference. My animals need to provide me with something if I'm going to provide them with feed, shelter, and veterinary care.

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:At ten dollars most animals would be a bargin.
    Here the rehoming fee starts at $35 and goes up FAST. I was going to get a new orse for the frand children. Not even halter broke, rehoming fee $2750. NOT!!! If you get some animals from certain groups, you can't use any of natures gifts, eggs, meat or milk.

10. freemotion

freemotion Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    Seriously, how will they know if you eat the eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by