has anyone ever been bitten by a chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by animals1981, Mar 18, 2009.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    Ive been attacked but never by the beak!

What does a chicken bite feel like? can they rip ur skin and draw blood with their beak?

Its not nearly as bad as a duck bite correct?

2. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    one roo just reached over and bit my hand...he grabbed meat...did not bring the blood....just like a pinch....scared me though

3. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    My rir roo bite me last week and took off skin and then blood. didn't really hurt but kinda scared me at first.

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    I get bitten at least once a week. It hurts. They are sneaky. It's a real bad pinch. I get bruises from them. My hens are devils sometimes. I wear thin leather gloves now when I go in the coop. They usually get me when I forget my gloves and bend over to fill the feeder. It's the only place they get me. I wear rubber boots that go to my knees and being winter still I have a lot of outer clothing on. Just be careful and dress well if they bite.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have had them draw blood, but just like a small, sharp bite, not a tearing bite. Hurt like the devil, though! That's why I never wear sandals around the chickens.

It's also why I never pick up my chickens for a cuddle anymore either. I had one go for an earring and gave me a new pierced ear! [​IMG]

6. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Chickens are not mean. If you spend time with them everyday they will not bother you. Start spending time with your chickens and you will find they can be friendly,,,just like any other pet. You stop spending time with them and then they dont know who you are.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  7. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    my roos bite toes. [​IMG] But we all make the bites out to be worse than they really are. I am not afraid of chicken bites. Yes, they can bruise, and even break the skin sometimes, but it's NOTHING like a mammal bite. It's almost humorous. I just pick them up and cuddle them when they bite. Biters dislike that more than anything!! [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Lil' Bit, being half blind, generally takes a finger when she's trying for a treat in my hand.
    I pet each one individual and tell them goodnight when they go into roost. I have one hen that will bite HARD if my hand gets anywhere near her face while she's on the roost.
    I've also been bitten trying to peek under hens on the nest.

9. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    my girls love me. one almost bit me but that was because i was wearing gloves. they didnt recognize.

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I never could conceive of birds that didn't act like lap dogs like mine do- until I met a friend's birds on Monday.

Her roo looks like a barred collie, it's so big, and when I went to pet him, naturally, like I would mine, he bit my finger- hard! It was like hitting my finger with a hammer!! It's still just a tad sensitive...maybe that's from too much typing....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by