Has anyone ever been in a pilot project as a first step to change law?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by BedHead, Dec 17, 2009.

1. BedHead

BedHead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Alberta
    Hi, I am wondering if there are other municipalities where they've allowed a small number of people to keep back yard hens as a 'pilot project' to study the ramifications. I am involved with a group in our city and this is the direction we're headed right now. We just got word yesterday that they will accept a draft proposal from us, so now we have to put the proposal together. I am looking for anyone with experience in this type of thing, either as a chicken keeper or as a proposal writer. Thanks!

2. SarasotaClucker

SarasotaClucker Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Bedhead... We are considering this approach here in Florida in two possible forms. Current rules in our city ban chickens but give the City Manager the ability to approve them for a limited time for a public purpose. We suspect that provision was placed there to accommodate 4-H projects, but there is no reason we couldn't apply for a two year permit to explore whether a few hens can be kept in backyards without issue.

Alternatively, we could propose a two year trial or experiment with a significant number of households, after which the Commission could decide 1) to expand, 2) to hold at the experimental level, or 3) force people to give up their birds. It would be a significant risk and require people with a pioneer spirit willing to be great, considerate neighbors and invest in a coop and birds that may not ultimately be allowed.

What approach are you considering?

3. BedHead

BedHead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Alberta
    We're wanting to try something along the lines of your first alternative - we're thinking right now about a half dozen sites around the city, input from neighbours, some sort of formal study going on and reporting to the city, lasting a year at least. I don't know if they'd make us give up the birds at the end, but that's a possibility.

Your city ordinance sounds very similar to ours - our City Manager can grant permissions for exceptions to the ban. We have no idea why that was included in the bylaw but are glad it's there!

What stage of the process are you at right now? We really want to get things moving, and want to submit the draft proposal by early-mid February and aim to start the pilot project in spring 2010.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by