Has anyone ever been to an Amish town?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Waight, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Waight

Waight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Saint Charles, Missouri
    I want to take a nice day trip to an Amish village but I don't want to go there and then be an offensive tourist type person. I always dress rather conservatively so I know that won't be a problem but does anyone have any tips I should know before I go?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Go with $$$ and stock up on baked goods.

You won't be sorry.

3. Waight

Mar 15, 2012
    Saint Charles, Missouri
    Hehe thanks XD. I REAAALLLY REALLLLLLY wanna get some Amish butter while I'm there too to smear on all my amish baked goods XDD.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    We live not too far from two Amish towns. Sample their restuarants and baked goods! Delicious!

Their wood craftmanship is wonderful. So are their leatherworks.

5. Waight

Mar 15, 2012
    Saint Charles, Missouri
    Since you live in Decatur, may I ask if you've ever been to the settlement in Bowling Green, Mo?

6. The reluctant chicken

The reluctant chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Litchfield County
    They don't like their pictures taken.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No I haven't.

Just in Arthur, Arcola and Tuscola are the only areas we go for good food. The best I've been is Yoder's Kitchen, delicious food! They close on Sundays.

However I believe I've been by St Charles, MO for reenactments. Hoping to go to Pilot Knob, MO event in a few years. Beautiful state!

8. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I live in an Amish area. They are just folks like us - some are friendly and some not; some are good, some not so good; (human nature is human nature)!

We have found that most of our Amish friends and acquaintences have been some of the most enjoyable people we interract with. So my advice would be to relax and enjoy yourself and maybe even make some new friends!

1 person likes this.
  9. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Please don't stop and stare. I live in right by an Amish market and they literally bus people in. The tourists will just stand their staring at the Amish workers, and some even try to take secret pictures. I find it completely rude and disrespectful to the people.

Their baked good are always amazing. The only complaint I have is around her, the prices are ridiculous. They sell eggs at $5 a dozen, and half a chicken for $7.

I just bought a table from them and they do great work and even better customer service. When the middle leg broke and I found water stains on the table (which were guaranteed not to) I called them and they told me just to keep the table for the 8 weeks it would take them to build a new one. The new one has no problems with it.

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have found the older people much friendlier then the younger ones, but that is usually true for all people. I have an Amish lady that I have become quite close to. I went to an amish farm that sells fresh raw milk and started buying my milk there. I usually go every other week. I pick her brain about all things on her farm. She is very knowledable and willing to help on my path to learning how to provide for my family naturally. Amish people are really no different then anyone else except for their way of life which I think is awsome. The lady I visit says her only problem with the "English" are that alot look down on them. Speaking to them as if they are children. Just be yourself and you will not offend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by