Has anyone ever bred a orping roo to rir hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by carld1121, Feb 3, 2015.

1. carld1121

carld1121 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    I have some lemon cuckoo orpintons beaiutiful birds, just bored yall know how it is. Has anyone ever done this cross breed? Any pics? If so, if you hatch orp/rir and get two blood lines and breed them to each other will they hold their new cross? or would it be like a sex link?

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    I did once and got a pullet darker/redder than the orpington, but nowhere near the color of the RIR. I actually cross them both ways. RIR roo over orpington hens (got a boy that look like a New Hampshire red) and Orpington rooster over RIR red and got a pullet. Pretty, but nothing spectacular. Enough color difference that I can tell her apart, but not shockingly different. She looks really half way, body like a RIR, but feathers like the Orp. For me after one try each way, my curiosity was satisfied. Don't get me wrong I love her, but she is nothing shocking. I have to say, she is a really, really good layer of very large spotted brown eggs. I named her Cherry.

3. carld1121

carld1121 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    thank you for your input :) i just thought it would be interesting because my orp roo is cuckoo. spectacular cuckoo actually. and i thought about doing orp over rir then the same orp of those chicks. i thought it would make an excellent winter layer

4. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    You should try, what do you have to loose. maybe you will get even prettier little ones and then you can post pictures for all of us to admire. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by