Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by morningglory37, Jul 30, 2010.

1. morningglory37

morningglory37 Hatching

Jul 29, 2010
    Hello, We have a problem with our older 7 year old New Hampshire Red. Exactly a week ago she suddenly developed a crippled foot and at the same time terrible diarrhea. What makes this condition strange I think is that she is completely happy in every way except for being crippled and not pooping. Her comb, eyes look great. She grooms herself. She clucks in a content manner. She drinks and eats. She has a TERRIBLE odor to her that smells like death and yet she remains alive and looking great! It just doesn't make sense to me.

I have injected her with mineral oil because after her first bout of diarrhea she quit pooping for days. I've also given antibiotics. We don't plan on taking her to the vet. It's just too expensive and she is quite old even though she's an adored pet. In all the research I've done, online and with friends. i've haven't found anything that explains this.

Her foot remains crippled but has not progressed to other body parts. She can move it at the hip but cannot move the toes at all. It's like they are totally numb. You can touch and pet her anywhere and she's not in any pain whatsoever.

Strange huh? [​IMG] Thanks!!

2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    Sounds like some kind of infection or parasite... I figure there isn't a wound to the foot, as you didn't mention it. The bad smell - where is it coming from? The facial area or the feet? Is she eating?

Poor girl...

3. morningglory37

morningglory37 Hatching

Jul 29, 2010
    There is absolutely no wound to the foot and she seems to be in no pain. You can pick her foot up and bend the toes, but it's as if the foot is dead and it will just dangle. The really terrible smell is coming from her rear. She continues to not poop normally, yet she rests comfortably and always eats what I give her and drinks. She is not her old self by any means, but she seems content none the less. She stays outside in a nice shaded area and then by night I bring her inside to a safe quiet spot inside a pool liner we have. What I hate having to do is prick her up because she dribbles stinky poo on me. she never complains when being held. She acts normally. It's such a strange thing that it seems crazy that she continues to live each day. I expect her to be gone every morning but she's always there looking perky and clucking! I was really curious if any other chicken owner had ever had this happen.

4. morningglory37

morningglory37 Hatching

Jul 29, 2010
    Also, her comb and face and eyes continue to look great! There's nothing wrong there. Her feather look really good too.

5. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    I think you're doing all you can do. She is old; these things happen, unfortunately. It's sad because she seems like such a sweet girl. 7 years is pretty remarkable, I think. Maybe someone else will have an idea. Good luck to you.

6. morningglory37

morningglory37 Hatching

Jul 29, 2010
    I'm not sure if anyone would find this interesting, but I wanted to post again about our chicken. If I was independently wealthy, I would love to take her to the vet just to see what happened to her. Today is day 10 that our older hen became ill. We can't believe she's still with us! Today, she's still just the same. Eating nightcrawlers, fuit etc. and completely crippled in same foot only. She still after all this time and with hardly pooping at all, looks amazing! When she does poop, it's extrememly messy and stinky, but today it's actually the correct color and not neon yellow!! Her comb, face, eyes look great! still clucking along. She really smells gross, so it's hard to be near her for very long, but we continue to let her stay out all day and then we bring her in at night for her safety. She's drinking great on her own. She really is a sweet chicken it was nice of that person to post that. [​IMG]

7. card5640

card5640 Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    You are a good hen Momma, sounds like you have given her a wonderful life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: