Has anyone ever dug a small pond for their ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bryan99705, May 19, 2011.

1. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a shallow water table in out area (10') and I was thinking of digging a hole , with a backhoe, about 20' round X 10' deep lining it with canvas tarps or a pool cover, punching a 2" well casing with a sand point in the middle or the pond area and putting in a small 12V pump to raise the water level as needed. Our ground is silt so I have to use some type of a liner but still want a little water exchange. In a few years, if it silts full then I can simply fill it in and repeat in another spot. Looking for advise and ideas. Thanks

2. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

We dug a pond for our ducks, fenced it in and attached it to the run so they can still play when they aren't allowed to free range. Your lucky your water table is only 10 feet deep, I THINK ours was around 30 ft where we dug the pond. Just keep in mind that the ducks like to "back fill" their own pond so we ran into alot of problems with that. I will have to get more specifics from my hubby at to what his orignal set up actually was when he gets home. Now we basically just have a hole of water for the ducks. Occasionally he will dig the bottom out, especially if the water level starts dropping. He owned an underground utilities company so thankfully we have access to all types of heavy equipment. Retention ponds were something that he did on a regular basis, so he seemed to know what he was doing, lol. He told me it was easier just to scoop the muck out once in awhile to keep the water flowing in, instead of messing with a pump. I currently have 16 ducks and he picks at me by saying they don't make a pumping station big enough to maintain that much poop! We do have clay based soil, so that may make a big difference. One more thing, make sure your ducks do not have access to your pond edges AT ALL. I know you said you were going to use a liner, just make sure you have alot of overhang. Not only will they back fill for you, they will also make their pond bigger.

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    That is so cool, they would love it a great deal. I wish I had a friend near by that could dig me a pond...

4. fifenashia

fifenashia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    I was thinking of building an actual pond for my duckies, but the logistics were a bit overwhelming. So we bought a plastic kiddie pool, dug a hole and packed it with sand then placed the pool in and voila! It works great, even the chickens like it for a yummy drink. We already have some tadpoles in their although I suspect not for long [​IMG]

I'd love to see pictures if you do build one!

5. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    I wouldn't bother with the expense or labor of a liner in your situation. I'd simply dig the hole and let it fill up and let the ducks go.

The house I live in now, dug out their pond over 50 years ago because an underground spring ran under the property. They got a backhoe dug it out (50'x25') and the spring filled it up and it's still housing ducks today. The fresh water flowing from it keeps the water filtered and clean.

This is our pond and duckhouse...
    [​IMG]

Go for it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by