1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

has anyone ever eat racoon?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickabator, Oct 22, 2009.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    My dh is wanting to get a coon and me cook it. I really dont think I can. squirl is no problem to cook but coon? I read online that you can catch rabies from them and I am afraid to even try it. I have enough health problems let alone end up with rabies.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    When I ws a little girl, my dad used to hunt and cook raccoons. I never tasted it but I know it can be done. If you're concerned about rabies, just wear rubber gloves to clean it. Once it's cooked, you're OK. I'd probably tell him to do it himself. lol

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Raccoon is excellent if properly dress and cooked. When you clean one there are lymph nodes that need to be removed or it will impart an objectionable smell and taste to the meat. They can also be very fatty. Remove as much fat as possible. then parboil to remove more.

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Many years ago I tried it. A local coon club did an annual "coon bbq". The meat was very dark, and I also found it quite greasy although it was thoroughly cooked and floating in bbq sauce.

I'm not a picky eater in any way and generally like game. However, I doubt I'll ever go for coon again. (Great idea....DH would be cooking it himself at our house too. LOL)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by