has anyone ever eat racoon?

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
My dh is wanting to get a coon and me cook it. I really dont think I can. squirl is no problem to cook but coon? I read online that you can catch rabies from them and I am afraid to even try it. I have enough health problems let alone end up with rabies.

When I ws a little girl, my dad used to hunt and cook raccoons. I never tasted it but I know it can be done. If you're concerned about rabies, just wear rubber gloves to clean it. Once it's cooked, you're OK. I'd probably tell him to do it himself. lol

Raccoon is excellent if properly dress and cooked. When you clean one there are lymph nodes that need to be removed or it will impart an objectionable smell and taste to the meat. They can also be very fatty. Remove as much fat as possible. then parboil to remove more.

Many years ago I tried it. A local coon club did an annual "coon bbq". The meat was very dark, and I also found it quite greasy although it was thoroughly cooked and floating in bbq sauce.

I'm not a picky eater in any way and generally like game. However, I doubt I'll ever go for coon again. (Great idea....DH would be cooking it himself at our house too. LOL)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom