has anyone ever experenced this? clean legged cochin

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Roosterfry, May 16, 2011.

1. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    So I bought some hatching eggs from a guy that raises standard buff cochins, I hatched out 8 and they are about 10 weeks old now, and at about 4 weeks old I noticed 2 of them have perfectly clean leggs! I'm 99 percent sure all had feathered leggs when I transferred them from the incubator to the brooder does anyone have an imput on this!?

2. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Feather pecking maybe? Though it's curious that they would only go for the legs.

3. mothernaturesdaughter

mothernaturesdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Williamsport
    Just curious about your clean legged cochins. Do they look like your other feather footed cochins?

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Wow! the reason I do not get Cochins is the feathery legs in this clay. I would love a clean legged fuzzy butt. Yes, I too wonder if they look the same as the other cochins.

5. Lolalilu

Lolalilu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    I believe I read somewhere that it can happen in cochins because of a recessive gene.

(edited for spelling)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    So, you're saying it did have feathered legs now doesn't? You sure there wasn't just some pecking/eating of feathers going on? Are they seriously clean, no scares or pinholes or anything?

Do they look physically, shape and fluffiness and all, like the rest of the Cochins?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by