Has anyone ever felt guilty over culling roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by taprock, Jun 15, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I know I sound pathetic... I've had chickens only about a year, bought straight run and have rehomed 9 roos in the past year. Now I have two more roos that I incubated this winter who have turned into bullies. I can't rehome them but they are both handsome fellows and I'm feeling guilty that I am giving them to my brother to eat. Logic says I'm not going to use them for breeding, they aren't nice to me or the hens or the other roos... but then I think how I incubated them and they wouldn't be around except for me. Is this one of those things that gets easier with time ... as I toughen up or is it always hard? I really want to incubate some more of my eggs but I dread the roos and getting rid of them.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't, can't or won't (choose whichever word fits) eat my culls. I do however feel remorse.

Yesterday I re-homed two young cockerels to give my hens a much needed break. I have felt guilty ever since. They went to a farm home, not to be eaten; but still. Here they were spoiled little brats. There they will be just another rooster. [​IMG]

3. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    I would feel lucky to help feed my brother and his family.

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    No. My first roo I culled was mean. He kicked my 18 month old daughter. Then when she tried to get up he did it again. He is lucky I waited a few days til I calmed down, and gave him as easy a death as I could. As far as the rest, if they are large common breed roos, there isn't much demand for them. If I can find a pet home for them I will and do, but knowing they will most likely end up feeding someone, I like to have control of how they die and spend their last days. I figure it's the least I can do for them.

5. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I keep telling myself that it is all part of owning chickens. I have up until now been able to rehome several roos, but I know that the day will come that I (really DH) will have to cull. Not sure if I will be able to eat a cull, but I do know that someone will. It would in my mind be an even bigger shame not to have it go to good use.

6. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Oh yes - even though we had way too many cockerels, and the poor hens were hiding under my skirts, and they nearly killed one of my hens - I still felt bad when I saw them lined up in their cages for the chopping block. They looked so pretty and harmless! I had to harden my heart to go chop-chop.

But my hens are happy and safe now, and the roosters are very nice when simmered all day in wine and spices. [​IMG]

7. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one. Rehoming them is my first choice but I need to harden up and think of how much better the flock will be without the two bullies. We do have three good roos right now so I can see the difference between a good and bad roo.

8. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Bullies go to freezer camp, and no remorse for that. I don't enjoy it, but we have no place for mean birds.

9. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Guilt...........Nah. Sometimes if it is a mean roo I feel sorry for him that he wasn't nicer and he could still hang around and be part of this lovely life I have created for all of my pampered birds. If he is a really mean roo, I sort of get a guilty pleasure out of it when we have him for dinner.

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I don't feel guilty. I'm not a heartless bastage, I don't exactly relish killing anything, but keep in mind that the only reason we have chickens today is because they are tasty good eating and furnish a bonus in eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by