Has anyone ever felt regret for something they did?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sequoiacyclist, Jun 4, 2010.

1. sequoiacyclist

sequoiacyclist Songster

May 29, 2010
    Visalia, CA
    Ok...I have to get this one off of my chest.

When I was a child my grandfather built me a large beautiful hen house with attached enclosed run. At the time I was fanatic about doves so I filled it with white doves. Then as time passed I managed to get a hold of 2 mutt hens 1 mutt roo and 1 white silkie hen. The first three were mean and didn't want to have anything to do with me, but the little silkie hen and I became good friends. [​IMG] I always felt sorry for her though because she would go broody and lay eggs but they were never fertile because the roo didn't want to have a thing to do with her. Are silkie hens ugly to normal roos?

Anyways, after a while the chickens began to attack and eat the doves and one evening upon entering the pen I was shocked to see a bunch of dove feathers scattered everywhere and chickens running around with evidence on their beaks! [​IMG]:bow (It was quite a terrible sight for a 9 year old to see!) Immediately I got angry with the chickens and booted every single one of them out the door. Then, after sulking over the deceased doves I heard a loud ruckus outside only to see that my grandmother's old dogs murdering all of my chickens...even my beloved silkie. [​IMG] To this day I still feel very guilty about it and decided to order some silkies in her honor. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yes and I divorced it, that I have NO regrets about.

3. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    long time i go i had an incident with this little labrador puppy sacring my chickens..
    i had a hen hatching and was about 9 days from the birth day..
    she ran in the enclosure and scared every hen there and the roo..
    during all the ruckus i guess one of the hens stepped on an egg or the puppy did and
    broke an egg with an embryo in it.. but i didnt notice it till like 30 min later once i took the dog out
    and calmed the birds down..i went in to check the eggs and saw the little one alredy covered in flies and ants [​IMG] [​IMG]
    and what was worse it was still moving but like suffucating guess he was not yet completely formed and of course not ready
    i ran to tell my uncle and he told me that it was only suffering and had to be put down..
    i felt sooo bad for it and to know every chick i see being born reminds me of that little one.. [​IMG]
    i feel guilty because i just couldnt do anything to help it and because i couldnt catch the dog fast ebough..
    it keeps going in circles in my mind..it died before being born [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. sequoiacyclist

sequoiacyclist Songster

May 29, 2010
    Visalia, CA
    Awww Doodle.... I know how you feel. [​IMG] They are so little and helpless. Those memories stay with you forever!

6. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I recently had a black jersy giant who was put in with the oldert ones to soon and altho she had 9 sisters she was peacked at her temples and was still breathing and moving when we saw she had wedged her-self under a cender block that the waterer sits on and had smashed her eye socket and was she was suffering... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Hi! Yes! While we're getting things of that nature 'off-our-chests'... I was mean to my grandmas hens after g'ma killed a momma barncat and her newborn babies with a shovel. They were all wild and just ridden with fleas and would have probably perished anyway, but DANG. I brought them to her to 'fix', not squash.
    I thought it was the ugliest, meanest, nastiest, and uncalled for (I was 7-ish) things I'd ever seen, and never could 'like' that woman again. After that, when I found one of her hens with a hidden nest, I'd toss the eggs in the woods just for meanness. Come to think of it, I found a nest of field rat babies after the combine had run over a field and brought them up to 'rescue' and she squashed them too. She was a mean-tempered old lady. I wonder how my Grandfather could stand to be around her.
    My Grandfather would bring us 'coon babies, 'posssum babies, squirrell babies, runt piglets, unthrifty calves to 'bottle-raise' --- he was a man with a sense of compassion that his wife was seriously lacking.
    Lisa

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:twice. I have no idea how my 3rd husband has lasted so long. [​IMG]

9. sequoiacyclist

sequoiacyclist Songster

May 29, 2010
    Visalia, CA
    Oh my Lisa. How terrible! I was lucky to have a family who loves animals, but I do have a couple of uncles who wouldn't think twice about squashing little kittens. Personally I don't know how they can do it. I always get squeemish when it comes to ending a little life. I just can't do it! [​IMG] (Unless it is a mouse of course!)

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Lisa that is horrible...I am so so sorry. Thank goodness I had grandmothers and grandfathers that were completely opposite. They helped me fix hurt frogs, birds, kittens etc etc. Very compassionate and caring...when they did put an animal down there was a good reason for it. You poor dear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by