Has Anyone Ever "Forced" a Broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wbruder17, Feb 2, 2012.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I will be ready to hatch eggs pretty soon again. I have a couple of tried and true broody hens that are not broody at the moment. I mean , they could go broody tomorrow....but I'm wondering if it is possible to push a hen in to broodiness. If I place her in the brooding hutch and darken it a bit, and give her eggs, will her instinct kick in? I'm going to giive it a shot, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this successfully?

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    From what I understand it isn't possible. BUT if you pull it off let me know - I too want a broody!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

Broodiness is really a hormonal thing that comes over a hen. It's very unpredictable. Certain breeds never go broody, while others, like Silkies and Cochins are often broody. Right now, I've got two Buckeye hens that are broody. Terrible timing!

What breed of hens do you have? I don't think you can coax a hen to go broody. Some people think they did, but it's probably just a coincidence. But hey, you can certainly try! It certainly won't hurt.

Sharon

4. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    I have a few broody Silkies here, I could loan out i have to coax out of the box to eat and drink!

5. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    It would be my "hatching machine" A Silkie and her hatching buddy, Aunt Lou (bantam cochin). I'm pretty sure I can force my Silkie, as being a broody has its benefits...scrambled eggs and mozzerella cheese to eat and a place away from all the annoying other hens. She really loves to hatch. And if I can get her to brood, Aunt Lou will do anything she says, so I think I might be able to pull it off!

Then I will just have to convince my other Silkie, who is perpatually broody, but won't ever set a nest when I move her. SHE'S the one I worry that I won't be able to force. And I have more eggs that I want to set than I think 2 banties can handle. I want to set a dozen mixed banty eggs and about 4 EE eggs. Do you think 2 banties can each cover 8 eggs?

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I recently had my little silkie Amber, and my little black frizzle cochin, (both bantams) hatch out 13 chicks. Eight each is probably the limit....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by