1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has Anyone Ever Got 100% Females or 100% Males In A Straight Run Order?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Usernamium, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Has anyone ever got 100% females or 100% males in a straight run order? (preferably an order 3) just curious.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's an impossibility if ordered from a hatchery. They vent sex all chicks and know the sex more accurately than the 90% disclaimer.

I wonder if anyone ordering straight run from a hatchery ever received more pullets than cockerels.

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I bought 6 BBS Ameraucanas once from a breeder. I know they didn't try to sex them, but I got all males. The statistical odds of that are about 1%, but since the odds are not 0, someone has to get that result on occasion, it just happened to be me.

Given that the odds are cut in half by every additional chick, the probability rapidly approaches 0 as you get to 10 or 20 chicks, but it never hits 0, so it is at least theoretically possible to get 100 straight run chicks of the same sex, but if it's from some place with the ability to vent sex, I would say that's pretty good evidence of tampering with the sex ratios.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I've purchased straight run chicks from various feed stores over the years. In one batch, I received 5 roosters out of 6 chicks. In another, 5 out of 8. And in another, 4 out of 6.

5. hodor

hodor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2015
    Australia
    I read a post on hear where someone got 8 pullets from 8. I'll try and find it

6. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    I got seven chicks from a breeder who I know didn't vent sex and cheat me. I'd bought from him several times before and sense. I hand picked the seven chicks, and they grew into seven beautiful roosters. Usually my straight runs end up around 50/50
    However, there was another time where 90+ percent were roosters and a couple died as chicks from all the symptoms of being vent sexed wrong. Same thing happened to my friend who bought from the same place. I never got from them again.
    I have a straight run batch of 30+ EE growing out right now. I think I've got slighrtly more hens than roos.
    So yeah, it's possible to get all of the same sex. The odds are very low, and, as others have said, from a hatchery, you will likely get some of both, with roosters being over 50% because a lot of the unwanted cockerels go to straight run.

7. quite evil, but i guess its better than the alternative. most who buy straight run are in rural areas or are in it for meat anyways.

8. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Neighbor had 5 chicks that didn't sell. She asked if I would like them as I had a small coop I wasn't using at the time. All 5 are pullets and I expect they'll be laying when I get back to Montana in the spring.

9. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Just curious... what are the symptoms of being vent sexed wrong? Thanks for the info.

10. MadamPoofyBrow

MadamPoofyBrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    Well, there are, of course, many wrong ways to vent sex. That's why I don't do it, or knowingly buy from breeders who do.
    But, two of these little guys couldn't poo correctly, and they didn't have pasty butt or anything. After further inspection I learned that their little fragile chick bums had been squashed during the squeezing process. They weren't shaped right, and felt wrong when I felt them. The others were fine, but those two chicks, after a couple days of very little successful poo and laboured breathing, died.
    After I looked it up, on BYC of course, that's fairly common in vent sexing gone wrong incidences. My friend also had a couple die like this. They're Giant Cochins, and now we're both looking to ad some more to our flock but can't find a different breeder and aren't about to get from her again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by