Has anyone ever gotten a complaint from a neighbor that your chickens were being too noisy??

undine

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I live in a city where raising chickens is permitted. I told my side neighbors before i was going to raise chickens as pets, and they were fine about it. The only question the elderly couple that lives on my left had was "will they be loud?" I told them "i dont know, we'll just have to wait and find out..." Half of a year later my chickens finally lay, and its never ending party happening in my backyard. I came over to my left side neighbor to give them eggs that i have collected for two days. The lady said "woow, thanks! are you going to be supplying me with a lifetime of eggs??? Do you guys have a rooster??????? My husband and i have been hearing non-stop '''cackling''' from them" My neighborhood is filled with dogs barking at everything that passes by their gates. It makes me wonder what difference is there between a dog barking in the middle of the night, and a chicken shouting for joy because theyve crapped out an egg during the day?? What would you guys do about it? What can i do before animal control comes over and tells me i need to get rid of my chickens?

Last edited:
It's hard to say anything since I don't know if she was complaining or just commenting. I didn't hear her tone of voice, and I can't read tone, either. If she was just commenting, I would keep happily bringing over eggs, be a good neighbor in as many ways as I can, and go on with my life. If they are complaining and truly unhappy about it, well... you said chickens are legal so I don't think you have to worry about having to get rid of them. Maybe make sure the coop is on the side of the yard away from their home. Keep bringing over eggs, and keep being nice. Maybe instead of worrying about it, just have an up front, face to face conversation and ask them if the cackling bothers them.

I would not feel obligated to supply the neighbors with eggs. Perhaps a few in the beginning to let them know what they've been missing, otherwise, they can buy them to help defray the cost of feed. Nor, would I apologize when my chickens sing their egg song. For the most part, chickens are quieter than dogs, and when they do talk, at least they have something to talk about, unlike a dog who has only one word in his vocabulary (to quote Gary Larsen) "HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY!!!!)

To clarify - I didn't mean that OP should feel obligated, or should supply them forever. I was thinking occasionally (I have this problem at home, too - I know what I mean, but no one else does! ;) ). I don't think OP needs to apologize for the cackling, either. If it were my situation, if I were worried about what they think, I'd just come right out and ask if it bothers them. If it does, living in a neighborhood, I would try to find a way to minimize the noise just to be on good terms with my neighbors (assuming they are reasonable people and would appreciate my efforts to keep peace in the neighborhood). It's possible I don't understand city living and relationships with neighbors, though. I live in the country where our nearest neighbor is a mile away. There are people 10 miles away that we refer to as neighbors. (There are also people 2 miles away that we refer to as people who live by us) For the most part, where I live, people try to get along and help one another out as needed, rather than antagonize one another or ignore concerns that may come up. We try to work things out.

Some of my chickens were very noisy when first laying eggs and then settled down a bit. If chickens are allowed - I wouldn't worry about it so much. Between listening to neighbors barking dogs, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, screaming kids, ATVs, etc - I figure our chickens are a lot quieter. Thankfully, no one has complained about our girls or I think DH would not be very polite.

Good luck!

When I first got chickens I was living in my parents basement apartment in a pretty rural area. None of the neighbors had any complaints with the rooster actually most said they enjoyed it except one neighbor who lives in Florida for 9 months out of the year. The other 3 they come up to their summer house next to my parents. The rooster is not let out until 7:30-8am and yet he complains about it. If it were my house I would have told him too bad, they are allowed and you can deal with it. However my parents own a business in town and being it is a smaller town they didn't want any issues so each summer I would kill the rooster then allow one rooster from my chicks to grow and rule the roost until the next summer. It was quite annoying and he is still an annoying neighbor for my parents.

Guess I would worry 1st about local laws/ordinances. If like a lot of communities its a set time for loud noises (Like 9pm-6am) and your birds are bedded down and quiet that time you shouldn't worry. Although that's the legal aspect. Neighbors can be finicky. Some are overly friendly (Luckily mine are) some aren't. One of our neighbors kinda adopted a hen of mine. She free ranged... right into his garage and seems that's her place now. The couple is in their later 80's and the wife feeds her daily and talks to her. But each set of neighbors are different.
I guess best thing to do if you have issues reading them is ask them politely if your birds bother them at all.

Thanks for your responesess guuysss. It was very helpful, but how am i supposed to ask? LOL If they tell me 'yes theyre loud, please dosomething about them'...illl be assuming that they want me to get rid of them. i dont know how im going to do that since im fairly attaached to my pets =(..

If local laws and ordinances allow them who cares; especially if the neighbors haven't the courage to come to you personally.
My neighbors complained for awhile so I started collecting roosters (not allowed in most urban areas) and now I have geese, turkeys and guineas and am pondering peafowl. :p

I agree, they're allowed, who cares? I don't imagine they're disturbing anyone at night, so I don't see how they'd be putting anyone out.

And the only difference between a cackling chicken and a barking dog is people are used to hearing dogs. Once your neighbors get used to hearing them, they'll be no different than the dogs.

Give them eggs every now and then if you feel guilty, but don't let the worry take the enjoyment out of your chicken experience
1f60f.png

Back
Top Bottom