1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone ever had a chick just turn up?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fireflykilnfarm, Jun 19, 2011.

1. fireflykilnfarm

fireflykilnfarm New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    So today while I was checking on our chickens and guineas, I found a day or two old chick. No one is broody, no one was setting. It just showed up peeping in barnyard. Anyone encountered this before?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG]

Wow. What a mystery. Let us know if you solve it! [​IMG]

3. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Neighbor had a single chick, didn't want it and slipped it in with yours?[​IMG]

4. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Why can't I have that kind of luck?

5. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I've heard of hens running off under a bush and hatching clutches unnoticed before. Hasn't happened to me though, I got no rooster! lol

6. SoFluffy

SoFluffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    that is just weird, hope u solve the mystery [​IMG]

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    That's a pretty brave little chick. No one is playing momma and protecting the little one?

I like the neighbor idea.lol

8. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Yes happened to me a week ago, had just fed my chicks in coop and was watering my plants and heard chirping and looked in the rain gulley and there was this little chick only about day old running up and down it, I checked with others nearby and wasnt any of theirs so it is a mystery also. My other hens would not except her even the broody who was sitting on eggs so I am having to bring her home with me each day, she thinks I am her momma now wont let me out of her sight. My broody has now hatched her first egg a couple of hours ago and 3 more to hatch, my first time I am so excited, her last batch did not hatch so I am thrilled I have one so far, maybe I can slip the other orphan one in if the others hatch, time will tell [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  9. fireflykilnfarm

fireflykilnfarm New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    Hens wouldn't take it. Neighbors don't have poultry. Possible it hatched on it's own? It's been over 90f here for over a month but no one would have been turning it. It's in the house under lights in our chick brooder. Doin fine but I'd imagine lonely, they are flock critters. I'll have to raise indoors till big enough to make intros. Just weird though.

10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:I hope your story has a happy ending. You could give your lonely mystery chick a mirror for now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by