1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone ever had a chicken who drowned?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenchick99, Nov 17, 2014.

1. chickenchick99

chickenchick99 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    I went out for a few hours today and came home to find our beautiful Partridge Silkie floating in the cow's water bucket.
    My chickens free range but I have never seen them trying to drink out of their huge bucket.
    I am thinking she may have tried to fly up to perch and fallen in? I suppose because she is so fluffy/heavily feathered she got water logged and couldn't get out?
    I'm devistated. My chickens have IB (just finished 5 days of antibiotics), I have lost two pullets to hawks in the past month, one hen had to be put down due to a badly impacted crop and I found one pullet who was sickly since I got her at a month old dead last week.

I have only had chickens since July, thought I was taking good care of them and am finding this very difficult as we are all becoming very attached to our birds. Is it always this hard?

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    [​IMG]
    I've been there. Sorry that you're there, though... losing a lot of birds really, really sucks.

3. chickenchick99

Oct 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Thanks. I needed a hug :)

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Not always, just sometimes.... : hugs
    I had a hen fall in the duck pool a week or two back, I was there so nothing really happened... I was lucky... I've lost 5 this year to different things, free ranging adds a toll...

5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I had a Silkie chicken drown in my garden pond. I used to have 4 of them with my other bantam chickens. One day I went out to see a death Silkie floating in the pond plants. It mush have thought it was grass and just walked out onto the plants,, only to fall through in the water. The pond has steep concrete sides.. only an inch of 2 deep. but the wet bird must have been too heavy to pull itself out. Not like my normal chickens.. which, when they are chicks, often fly into the pond, but they get out easily and within a few seconds. and learn never to do it again.

After that episode I decided to re home the last 3 silkies, as they were not well suited to free ranging .. they appeared rather dumber than the average chicken.. and were always having accidents or getting stuck somewhere ..running into things in a panic for no reason.

6. chickenchick99

Oct 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    I have a few very tiny birds. I think that a separate coop for them is the answer. I'll let the large ones free range. I just can't believe the bad luck I am having!

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    In the years 2012-2013, I lost over 100 birds to every injury, ailment, and predator under the sun. I couldn't even go out to the coop for months because I was so depressed to see the birds. It's taken me a long time to be interested again...

8. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Yes.. most of us have had a similar experience with chickens at some time.. Seems everything wants to kill them.. be it predators or diseases... or even themselves!!!

Thankfully we all learn form these things... and in the end,, if we keep at it .. we can crack the chicken keeping secret!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by