1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone ever had an ivermectin reaction?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BunsNChicks, Feb 6, 2013.

1. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    I dewormed one of my bantams the other day with an ivermectin pour on. Now I see around his face he is losing feathers and the area looks kinda of scaley (this is no where I applied the pour on fyi). So could this be a reaction or something else? Nobody else is having any feather loss issues...

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you wish to google this further, this info.may help:

The scaly leg mite sometimes attacks the face. If you do indeed come to the conclusion that this is what it is, you can smear the area with mineral oil or veg. oil daily for 2 weeks or more, to smother the mites. You can do the same for the legs (dip the legs daily) if you see the raised scales of scaly leg mite.

Ivermectin kills scaly leg mite too. I don't really know why it would show up after an application of it (if that is what it is, which it may not be).

3. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    Thank you! I'm gonna bath him today and inspect him further... hoping it is something simple

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by