Has anyone ever had new pullets start laying in the middle of winter??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Paganrose, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    I have a dozen dual purpose pullets that were hatched this past May, to my knowlege no one has laid any eggs. I know my chances are slim of getting any eggs until feb or march. Has anyone had new pullets that started laying in winter??? It is just frustrating to have 30 birds in the coop, and have to buy eggs from the store. (Most of my older girls are molting)

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    On the contrary I have 4 pullets hatched out in the beginning of August and they have started laying now. Only one is laying so far but the others are showing interest. They are Light Brahma, Cochin cross and Delaware. Don't lose hope. I live in Vermont and it's pretty cold up here so if they can lay here they can definitely lay where you are.

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I have had pullets start to lay in the winter, but this is the first winter I have orpington pullets so idk if because they are heavy they might just take longer to mature anyway?

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I had chickens that hatched on Sep 21st last year and started laying in Jan and Feb of this year. And they were even EE's

5. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    The pullets in question are buff orps, crochins, light bramhas, and a couple of wandotte mixes..... a few of them look ready to lay and have been for a couple of months, but no eggs. I have even kept them locked in the coop for a couple of days to make sure no one was laying elsewhere (they free range) I got one egg, from one of my older hens.....

6. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    My barred rock started in febuary. Right around valantines day, the perfect gift dear Gloria!

7. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I can't speak about the BO, or wyandottes but I have Cochins and Light Brahmas. I was told to watch their combs when they turn a deep red (almost a blood red) they are ready to lay. Mine just turned 4 months and one started laying yesterday. The other three stare at her when she goes in the box and seem very interested in what she is doing. I really have to keep an eye on the box though. It has about 3 inches of shavings in it and she will hide her egg in it under the shavings. (Maybe she is trying to keep it warm?) So far she started yesterday and has laid one yesterday and one today.

Good luck with your girls.

8. BillAndrw

BillAndrw New Egg

Dec 10, 2011
    We just got our first four chicks who were all hatched towards the end of May also. Brahma, Gold-Laced Wyandotte, Barred Rock, and an Ameraucana. The Wyandotte started laying on Nov 30 and we have already gotten almost a dozen eggs from her. The others haven't started although the Brahma's cheeks have started to get very reddish. The other two don't seem to have a clue.

The guy at the store once said that since our chicks were hatched in May we might not even see an egg until Feb. So we are pleased to have one hen laying like a champ. We'll see if it keeps up. Good luck.

Andrew

Portland, OR

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had some that started laying in February.

10. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Five of my 24-week old pullets just began laying this past week. :0)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by