Has anyone ever had one chick that has 2 Moms?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChasSquirrel, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ChasSquirrel

ChasSquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Here is the story: I have two Buff Orpington hens that have been 'setting' for a while now. They were right next to each other in the nest box. I just realized last week that one was setting on a golf ball and the other one had only one egg. Yesterday, I found the the hen, with the egg, laying right outside the nest. Lo and behold, a little chick peeped out from under her. I am sure you can imagine how cute it was. I gave her and the new baby some food and water and left the chicken house. This morning I went to check on her, and of course feed everyone and she was stlll in the corner with her baby. Then I went to check on her this evening. I threw a piece of bread to her and she immediately got up and started clucking for the baby to come out. Not only did the baby come out but the other hen that is still in her nest came out to get the bread from mama. At least that is what I thought to start with. The 'other' hen got the bread and didn't eat it but would drop it. I didn't hear her cluck but the real mama continued to cluck. First of all, I was surprised that the new mama didn't try to get the other hen away from her. She fluffs her feathers up huge when I get close but not with this hen and she did chase off a young Rooster. I went ahead and cleaned up her food and water area trying my best to keep all the other chickens away and then sat there for a little whle and fed her some more bread. The other hen stayed there as well and this time I did hear her cluck at the new baby as well. At one point, both hens were clucking and the baby looked totally confused. He/she didn't know which mama to go to. It was too funny. If they do the same thing tomorrow, I am going to take a video.

Anyone ever see a chick with two Moms?

2. wildones1327

wildones1327 New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    haha interesting story.
    i've never seen chick w/ two mom ever since.

3. ally.alli.ally

ally.alli.ally Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Yes [​IMG] One of my hen's actually stole the other's baby!

4. ChasSquirrel

May 28, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    ally.alli.ally :

Yes [​IMG] One of my hen's actually stole the other's baby!

Oh my goodness. Did she already have any babies or was it just one baby like mine?​

5. ChasSquirrel

May 28, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    My chick still has 2 moms. I have posted a video on Youtube so you can see it for yourself.

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I had three broodies hatch their babies within a couple of days of each other. #1 hen squashed her chick as it hatched, #2 hatched one chick the next day, and #3 hatched two a day or two later. The first hen (with no chick) and the second shared the one chick, and then when the other two hatched, all three moms shared in day care duties.

[​IMG]

7. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    i have silkies tht were layied by a silkie and sat on by a chochin......i prefer adoptive mother lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by