Has anyone ever had this happen???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lakeshorenc, Apr 23, 2009.

1. lakeshorenc

lakeshorenc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    Well I started out with 19 chicks in the brooder. One died, so I was down to 18. Well a couple days ago I counted and there were only 17 in the brooder. One of the yellow Ambers was gone. I asked DH,DD,DS if they had taken a one out and they all said no. So I'm thinking with all the activity over the holiday's someone must have taken one of my chicks. I just can't figure out who?? I have them out in my garage so I guess a rat or a snake could have gotten it. I think I need to call Unsolved Mysteries to figure this one out. I'm just glad it wasn't one of my EE. LOL.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Could it have gotten out and ran away? They will do that. Or get stuck in something and you find it later. Eeeek.

3. lakeshorenc

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    I hope not. I think we would have found it or heard it chirp. The only hole is at the top so it would have a hard time getting out. I'm thinking my sons friend decided to take one to his girl friend for Easter (he goes to school on Saturdays so he get's up and leaves before we are up) or either a snake. A couple of years ago I had parakeets out there that a rat snake got. After he ate them his stomach was to big to get out of the cage. I think if it was a rat there would have been more blood and more fatalities. If it was a snake he should be full for a couple of weeks. By then they will be big enough to put outside.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  4. charliesgirl

charliesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MN
    im sorry [​IMG]

... what is DH, DD, DS?

5. lakeshorenc

Jan 14, 2009
    Lake Waccamaw NC
    Thank you, it stands for dear husband, dear daughter and dear son. Although they are not always very dear,lol. My son says he doesn't think his friend took it, so I'm back to a snake. Who knows, maybe it was abducted by aliens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by