Has anyone ever hatched out cockatiel eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aphalove, Jan 20, 2009.

1. aphalove

aphalove Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    Patton PA
    Has anyone ever hatched out cockatiel eggs? If you have do you think its possible to hatch them out in an incubator? I would like to try and do this. If you have or know of a good book i could purchase would you mind sharing? Thanks

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I have and I strongly discourage you from doing this!! That is...unless you are willing to feed the babies every two hours or so around the clock for a couple of weeks! The chances of newly hatched cockatiels being successfully hand-raised are very slim. If you have a broody hen, by all means, let HER do the incubating and feeding the first couple of weeks. I forget how long they recommend letting the hen care for the babies before you can take them away and begin hand-feeding yourself. Google cockatiel care and I'm sure you'll find out. Also, the mother gives the babies certain antibodies you can't supply. I raised cockatiels for several years, before getting into chickens, and this is the best advice I can give you...don't do it!

P.S. WELCOME TO BYC

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  3. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    best to let the female hatch them and feed them for 2 weeks then pull the babys and you can get away with 4 hand feedings a day my wife and i raised them for awile.

4. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I raised cockatiels in FL for several years, it is NOT a good idea to take them away from the female unless the female won't sit them or feed them. A broody hen while she may hatch them she has no instinct to feed as a parrot parents do. The baby will starve, they are fed regurgitated food by both parents.

Take the baby from the parents at 2 weeks and start hand feeding. It can be done sooner, but they are very prone to sour crop. Feeding a baby parrot is a rigorous schedule. Food must heated to the correct temperature at each feeding or chance sour crop or burning the crop. And all feeding instruments must be sterilized between feedings.

5. blasto

blasto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Richmond
    I*ve not hatched out cockatiels, but I have reared one from day 2 (we lost the mother and the father wanted nothing to do with the babes) and I have to agree with the others, it is a huge PITA! Much better to leave the eggs with the parents (if at all possible) for the first 10 days+ and then hand rear them if you want to tame them. We did have a pair who mated and laid but would not set, and I had always thought about incubating their eggs, but after trying to hand-feed that one tiny babe I quickly gave up on that idea! Funny you should post this question, because I was just thinking about it again (haven*t had cockatiels in 10+ years) because I just got an R-com mini and the literature mentions incubation days for cockatiels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by