Has anyone ever heard of a hen mass laying before going broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pennie1, Jun 23, 2010.

1. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    I have 2 broody hens setting on eggs in the same nest. But here is the funny part. A few weeks ago I hatched a bunch of chicks for meat. Then I noticed my 1 of my specialty hens (Standard Blue Cochin, Birchen Cochin bantam, BR bantam and a Golden Laced Polish) getting picked on relentlessly by the other 3. Next day I notice that she doesn't come out of the broody box where I keep all 4. When I go to collect eggs she's real Bi---y, but I pull out the four eggs. The day after that, I move the Polish because she is just so bossy. I notice that there are 4 more eggs under the hen, so I decide to leave them and see if she will hatch them out (last year she was an AWESOME mom). The next 2 days I don't collect eggs from that nest. In the meantime my little old BR bantam decides she is going to go broody for the first time in 4 years. On the 5th. day I decided to pull the hens out to look and see what I have and there are 18(!!!!!!!) eggs under the 2 of them. I have been trying to think of a way to explain how we got sooooo many. The Blue Cochin has 2 eggs, the Cochin bantam as 2, the Polish has 3 and the rest are the BR's. How in God's name did the BR lay that many eggs (while she has been broody) in so short a period of time??? Each hen lays a very distinct egg so I can tell who is who. That's ten eggs for this little old lady!!! I am totally amazed and was wondering, if in fact can a hen lay that many multiples in so short a period of time. Now here is another stickler. She has never been a good consistant layer. We would be lucky to get 2 eggs a week.... She was one of those chickens that you just keep cause she is so darn cute.[​IMG]

2. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I have never heard of that. It makes me think that they had to come from someone else, but if you can tell them apart then I just don't know!! It seems impossible. Good luck with all your broodies. I have my first right now and am very excited!

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Do you have a curious child/spouse who added some eggs from the fridge maybe??

4. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    You'd think so, but her eggs are so distintive that it couldn't be.

Isn't just so weird too, that she is over 4 yrs. old and has never been the slightest bit broody before? There are now 7 chicks that have hatched and the 2 hens PLUS the little cochin bantam are all taking care of them. It IS about the strangest thing I have seen.[​IMG]

5. JanetSmithery

JanetSmithery Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Eugene, OR
    Maybe she had a stash of eggs somewhere and rolled a bunch into the nest? I can't say I've ever seen a chicken roll eggs somewhere else before, but I don't know if it's biologically possible for one hen to lay so many eggs in such a short time either.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:First of all, according to your math she has laid 11, not 10, eggs in 5 days? Is that right? Your post is a bit difficult to read, I still can't figure out where the hatching of meat birds comes into this story. Much less who exactly is sitting on what eggs.

It's pretty rare for a hen to lay more than once in 24 hours, I think your numbers are off or there has been a stash of eggs pulled out from somewhere.

Could you please clean the post out to just the basics? Thanks. Then we'll get a more factual picture of what you have. [​IMG]

Edited to add: Are you sure some of your other hens weren't laying in those boxes?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It takes a hen approximately 26 hours to produce an egg. There's no way your hen produced that many eggs in the time frame reported. There's some other explanation.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Other hens added eggs to the nest.

9. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    Well, I am a total newbie with chickens, but I have experienced that with a cockatiel!
    I had a male and female cockatiel that were together for about 5 years. I would catch them mating, but she never laid any eggs, which was ok as I wasn't trying to breed them.
    Then one day my husband found an egg at the bottom of the cage! We made a nest box for them and over the next week she laid 21 eggs! Only 2 wound up being fertile and hatching. I talked to my avian vet and another avian vet and they had never heard of a cockatiel laying so many eggs in such a short time. I knew they were all from her as she was the only one in the cage besides the male.
    She raised the 2 little ones, and when they were able to eat, I noticed the mommas crop was always full. I took her to the vet and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. SHe kept getting thinner and her crop bigger. The vet would clean out her crop, but there was a blockage somewhere. Sad thing is she died. The vet wanted to do a necropsy because he had never seen anything like this. He found scar tissue all inside her causing the blockage, but no tumour, cancer or infection. Still a mystery!
    I have my own theories, but I guess my point is to watch her very carefully to make sure she doesn't get sick from laying so many eggs.
    I would also love to hear some answers to this mystery!
    Here's a link to pictures of some of the eggs. We had already cleared some out as they were not fertile. Only 2 in the pictures were fertile. We candled the eggs to check them.
    http://pets.webshots.com/album/547640423qfZeNu

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It takea a cockatiel 20-26 hours to form an egg. We now have accounts of a magic chicken & a magic Cockatiel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by