Has anyone ever heard of a single chick NOT being lonely?

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
Ok, I hatched a single chick, thats full size, two days later hatched a bantam showgirl, that is just tiny.
So far I have had them separated with supervised visits several times a day.
I think the lil showgirl would be ok having a friend, but my other chick, thats only 4 days old, is a LONER. The lone ranger is apt title, Cyn.
smile.png

She goes around and only cheaps happily while eating, she doesnt even cuddle with her stuffed animal unless she is a little cool (mainly its a good perch) lol...and just generally has a good time by herself. I have never seen the likes of it. Maybe she takes after me, I dunno, but she is perfectly fine without any company.
Now is this because she doesnt know better? Right now I wont leave them together becuz she is 3 times the size of the lil showgirl bantam, who has these gorgeous shiny eyes that must look awfully good to eat or somethin. Doesnt help the lil bantam wants to eat the other's toes.
Man, will I ever be able to put these two together, without worrying the lil one will get killed, and has anyone had a chick not cry when alone?
Neither of them cry when alone.
idunno.gif

Jill

Just a thought,
Maybe the chick imprented on you and has no idea what a chicken is supposed to look like.

Solution: Start dressing like a chicken.

Sounds like a joke, but many scientists have used that basic idea when dealing with young animals, includeing poultry
IE: that dood with the geese.

Ok he didnt dress like a goose, he used a puppet.
Am I mixing up my scientists... it's been done with eagles and seagulls.

Anyway, maybe you need a momma chicken puppet or something.

Spotted Crow, dangit...I am NOT getting a chicken outfit!
lau.gif

I will try to get some pics, Cyn, the spot isnt that big I dont think. Car DID break down on me, so havent been able to get out, and we have company this weekend. She is gettin wing feathering in, its black and white and soooo very pretty. She is getting minute lil tail feathering and she squats when she goes, so I am hoping very much she is a "she".
smile.png

I would just put them together but I really am scared to until I can see them getting along and cuddling up, just becuz the lil showgirl is about the size of a 50 cent piece, and looks so very delicate. And then Disco, well looks like a big healthy chick! And is 2 days older to boot. Bout like being 2 years older in child years! And she seems scared of her. I will give it longer supervised visits. Just dont wanna wake up to a dead lil youngun. I have time, and they have to grow to like each other.
Hmm, these silly birds, neither ONE of them cry being alone, my other birds woud wail their lil head off if they were alone. These dont even need MY company. Hmmppphhh...I am superfluous!!!!
idunno.gif

Boogie that is on "my Page" here was a lone chick, he did fine. I added 4-2 week old chicks in his brooder when he was about 8 weeks old. I went through the whole process of making a cardboard chicken house for the little ones to escape into if he was agressive with them. Image my surprise when it was Boogie that was frightened of the chicks. By the second day all the chicks were sleeping under Boogie's wings much to his dismay. But he has been a great "mother" to the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom