Has anyone ever heard of "browning" flour to make a roux or gravy?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by redhen, Oct 14, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Just wondering if my family is the only one that does this??
    We only do it for one dish though...our french canadian ragu meal that we make every winter...
    Anyone else do this with their flour, and what dishes do you use it in? [​IMG]

ETA: I should explain further... we put it on a cookie sheet and brown it, very dark, in the oven.... before we add it to the liquid.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    I started to say I didn't know of another way to make gravy then read the last line of your post. Never "baked" the flour before but always brown the flour in the pan with a little drippings from the meat Or a little butter or oil. Your way sounds like it would be about the same except without the fat. Might have to try it.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I've never heard of browning it like that but here every gravy is made with a flour & oil roux!!

4. pdbantam

pdbantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    South Mississippi
    Quote:YEP [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I've always thought of browning the flour or roux as more of a european or french cooking thing. It is supposed to make the sauce less starchy tasting, I believe. I have not done it in years.

Imp

6. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I've never browned it in the oven, but have used a fry pan - sometimes use only the flour to brown up by itself, but mostly with a tad bit of oil or butter.

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah, we brown it up in the oven and it gives the sauce such a different flavor.... by brown, i mean its almost burned.. but not really, just VERY dark.
    I know, sounds gross.... but in this dish it toatlly works. [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I can understand the concept to it. That's basically what your doing with a roux is taking the flour to just before it's burnt. There's that fine line between done & ruined!!

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I can understand the concept to it. That's basically what your doing with a roux is taking the flour to just before it's burnt. There's that fine line between done & ruined!!

OOH yeah..and if you burn it.. [​IMG]

10. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I've never heard of browning flour in the oven like that. I've taken lots of cooking classes, and we've made a roux by mixing equal parts flour and fat and cooking it on top of the stove until it's browned and thickened. So you brown the flour first in the oven, and THEN add it to the fat? Do you then cook it on top of the stove until it thickens and then add more liquid. I'm trying to visualize how you use the flour after it is browned in the oven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by