Has anyone ever heard of or has Ocular/Histoplasmosis syndrome?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ol'FashionHen, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    My step dad recently found out he has this in his eyes and the doc asked if he ever had chickens as a child and he did, I googled it and apparently it can be caused by birds and bats. It is a fungus from nitrogen rich soils and when breathed in it can cause an infection which will act as a common cold and sometimes even mimics tuberculosis, it can also be contracted from hand to mouth, eyes, etc., after time it can show up in your eyes (decades later even) and can cause you to lose your sight if not caught early, but it will effect your vision. It is often most found in areas of the Ohio and Mississippi Valley regions where it tends to stay humid, I live in the Ohio Valley region. My bosses grandma has the same thing and is now legally blind. I do not want to scare anyone..[​IMG], I was just wondering if anyone on here has this or knows somone with it. I read that dirt floor coops where a bad idea, I don't have a dirt floor it is painted and has linoleum on it, but I do have a run, but my chooks free range alot. Fresh or throughly dried and broken down droppings are no risk...just the fungus in the nitrogen rich soil. I think of all the folks who have or had chickens there whole life no problems ever ?[​IMG] . I go in my coop all the time with no eye or mouth protection but I am picky about washing my hands etc. Should I periodically bleach my coop and the run ? ( I keep shavings in there and sweep daily, clean out shavings every other week) and I do not where any eye or mouth coverings, and I shower and change my clothes when I clean the coop. Bummer ...anyone with any insight on this subject ?

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I always thought that it also can be contracred bybeing in contact with cat feces/ litter box.

3. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    [​IMG]...oh the poo..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by