Has anyone ever heard of the breed ' Gris cendré'?

Le Mitzer

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
Provence
So i just got a new girl for my flock, and the farmer I brought it off of told me it was a Gris Cendré or as i have learned it is also called " la poule du pêche" because its feathers are use for fly fishing. but i do not know much more.

so as of right now my flock consists of 5 chickens and one rooster, and four quail

1 - Sussex. named Blancette, she a bit flighty but will come and eat from my hand, and is in love with the rooster, she is a bit too clingy.
hugs.gif

2 - Sex-lines? Named Nugget and Pouic pouic. ( the farmer i get my chickens from told me there where Marans, but when i asked people here what they were, most people said that they were sex lines.... so im going to go with the majority, but im sure one of them has Maran in her geans. They both are the Alpha birds of the flock they even tell the rooster what to do, and Nugget stood up to my golden retriver when the flew the coop. She is nails that chick

2 - CouCou de Rennes. Named Kamer and Missy; they are not pure breeds but they should all the marking of the ture CouCou, but they also have feather on the feet, which is not ture for the coucou. also a bit flighty but still new in the flock, missy is the smallest and loudest by far, and the lowest on the pecking order.
hide.gif

1 - Gris Cendré, named Éléonore; and she is gigantic, i havent weight her yet but she has to be over 4 kg (8.8 Lbs) it takes two hand just to hold her.
I cann't find much info on this breed, so i was wondering if anyone knows about them? and could educate me.
idunno.gif

but what i do know is...
they are an old breed from france, well know for their feather for fishing as well as they are a great meat bird; they are great layers, that will continue to lay all winter, they are hardy, and calm. and they originate in the center of france in the area of limousin.

oh yeah i got four quial aswell this weekend ( it was a good weekend
wee.gif
), and will be asking what breed they are as well. because the guy said....." the breed?.....i dont know, quial...) so i thinking they are most specific then just quial,

will try and post picture of all of then this afternoon.
fl.gif

Last edited:
I have seen those two links; thank you though. but i was hoping to find out more about they other side of the chicken rather then she is only good for dinner, but yes she would make a great broiler. and her eggs are light brown with white spots, and she lays ontop of the Waterer! whiwh i cant figure out how she does. she has balance

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom