1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone ever heard of the Ixworth fowl?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LoupGarou, Apr 19, 2009.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    My friend from Jersey, Channel Islands showed me a link for this bird today. We were wondering if there were any people breeding them in the United States? Also, does anyone know if the UK chicken breed referred to the Sasso is the same as/similar to what I've seen referred to as the Colored Ranger on these forums? Thanks for any help or info you can offer!

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Calder rangers are commercial hybrids. The Ixworths are a breed developed by Reginald Appleyard (also of duck fame) for their meat qualities, while also possessing good egg laying abilities. The place of the Ixworthhas largely been replaced by the modern commercial hybrids so, as a consequence, this breed is rare even in Britain.
    Have you looked on Feathersite?

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    First thing I thought of when I flashed over that post was "power ranger chickens" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by