Has anyone ever kept Duprasi?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had one years ago when I was a kid and it was one of my favorite pets. They are neat little animals that look like hamsters, but they have a long worm like tail. They are much friendlier than hamsters and they hardly smell at all. They almost never bite and they are pretty smart.

I never saw them in the petstore again after I bought mine, but my parents did want to get another one after we found out what great pets they were. The last time I saw them was at a reptile show in florida.

There are a couple reptile shows around here, and I'm planning to go sometime next year. I have a fish tank and a few of the fish have died off. I think I might either rehome the rest of the fish (By sticking them into our tank at school) or just wait until the others die and then stick the betta in a smaller 3 gallon tank. Then I'd like to get two male duprasi. I already spoke to my mom who is Mrs. "No more inside animals" and she was perfectly ok with it. That was a shocker! So I'm excited, but I have to wait until I either find a local reptile show I can go to, or until I can do something with my fish. I like having the fish, but I think the duprasi would be more fun!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow, that seems like a lot for them! We paid $25 for ours probably about 10 years ago. I guess the price could have gone up since then. I'll have to do some research and see how much they are now. Hopefully I don't have spend $200 for two males.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hmmm...I was just looking on the internet and it doesn't seem like there are a lot of Duprasi left in the US. I really hope that's not the case! I would be very disappointed. Maybe I will have to go with crested geckos instead! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by