1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has Anyone Ever Ordered The Assorted Feather Leg Bantams from Ideal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickie Mamma, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has ever ordered the assortment and what they gave you. If you have pics, I would love to see them. Thanks..

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I just got an assortment of standard feather leggs from Ideal. I ordered 12 They sent 3 Lt. Brahams, 3 W. Cochins, 2 Buff Cochins, 2Buff Brahamas, and 2 black langshans. Not dissapointed to much but i really wanted a salmon faverolle. If i had it to do over i would have specified which ones because the cost would have been the same(minimum order). O Yea i also got 7 r.i.r's for packing and am assuming all roo's. Good Luck but if your ordering a few i would specify.

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks for the reply... wow, they sent 7 packing peanuts?? I was hoping only 3 or 4 extra roos. I ordered 8 (to make the minimum of $20.00) I am hoping they send a nice assortment. Its hard to specify because all the ones I wanted specifically were available all different dates etc. So I figured it was just easier. Thanks for the input!!

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    That was one reason i took the chance. Yes they add extras for heat so it kinda depends on weather i think. In cold weather they can add up to 25 on small orders. Let us know how it works out. Happy clucking

5. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thanks... Happy Clucking to you too !! [​IMG]

6. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Quote:If you only ordered 8, expect up to 12 packing peanuts. For small orders they usually like to pack at least 20 in a box.

If it's not too late, I might order a few more, and just e-mail them or call them to add it on to your other order. If it was me, I'd rather have a greater assortment of birds that I actually want, even if I did have to pay extra. That way, when they get older, you could pick out the ones you really, really like, and sell the others. I'm just trying to help out some, because I ordered 10 assorted Standards the other month and received 10 packing peanuts. In my area, not too many people want RIR males, so I'm stuck with them for a long while. I just don't want you in the same situation. [​IMG]

But good luck with the babies anywho! They are so fun to watch! [​IMG]

7. brizzlequizzle

brizzlequizzle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    wait, I ordered only 3 chicks from ideal, because I only want a small flock.
    does this mean that I'll get about 17 packing peanuts????[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] i only expected like 4 or 5

8. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Wow.. How did you only order 3 chicks? Did it make the minimum of $20.00? I want a small order too, but I guess I am getting alot of males thrown in there too. I hope you do not get 17 packing peanuts!! Wish me the same. I did expect a few 3 or 4. Oh well... I have a local farmer that will take the boys, so I really don't need to worry. My Pet Chicken lets you order 3 at a time and they use a heat pack included in the box. You pay extra for the heat pack but at least you do not wind up with a mess load of roos. My Pet Chicken takes a long time to ship so thats why I went with Ideal this time. My DH is not going to be happy! Well good luck to you and post pics when yours arrive, I will do the same. [​IMG]

9. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:If you only ordered 8, expect up to 12 packing peanuts. For small orders they usually like to pack at least 20 in a box.

If it's not too late, I might order a few more, and just e-mail them or call them to add it on to your other order. If it was me, I'd rather have a greater assortment of birds that I actually want, even if I did have to pay extra. That way, when they get older, you could pick out the ones you really, really like, and sell the others. I'm just trying to help out some, because I ordered 10 assorted Standards the other month and received 10 packing peanuts. In my area, not too many people want RIR males, so I'm stuck with them for a long while. I just don't want you in the same situation. [​IMG]

But good luck with the babies anywho! They are so fun to watch! [​IMG]

Thanks for the tip.. I am a little late on asking. They are being shipped on Wed. I have a local farmer that will take the males so I really don't have to worry, but wow I can't believe they throw in that many. I ordered the 8 I really wanted, so hopefully most will be girls. Lets hope. They are fun to watch, and I love raising them, boys or girls, but its hard when its time to go. I get too attached to them and I have 3 kids that get attached too. The kids are understanding more and more about getting rid of the boys, so its a little easier on me. Thanks for the advice, I will post pics when they come!

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Ideal sent 15 packing peanuts with my order of 10 bantam cochins last October. 14 packing peanuts arrived alive and well, and all bantam cochins were also alive and well. Still have them all today!

So be prepared for plenty of packing peanuts...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by