Has anyone ever read this before?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Heathero617, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 8:52 AM
    Re: Fireant control/More effective without pesticides

... below is a list of other garden recipes that some folks maybe in interested in ... provided by my friend Bob Tanem, a local gardener, nursery owner for over 35+ years and radio talk show host in San Francisco (where I've been a guest talking about cavity nesting birds.) You can check out Bob's web site at: http://www.bobtanem.com/

Raccoon Chaser

Use this recipe to create an unpleasant experience for your local racoons. They often do not refrequent a place where they have had an unpleasant experience. Try not to have accessible water nearby.

Captain Crunch Cereal(or similar sugar cereal)

Marshmallows

Hot Tai Pepper

Peanut Butter

Mix in an old aluminum pie plate and place in areas where they do the most damage.

John Schuster...

2. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    What's it supposed to do? Stick on their feet? Repell them? Kill them?

3. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Quote:if captain crunch kills them then I am going shopping now....

4. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:It reads that raccoons do not normally return to where they've had a bad eating expierence...its a deterrant.

Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 8:52 AM
    Re: Fireant control/More effective without pesticides

... below is a list of other garden recipes that some folks maybe in interested in ... provided by my friend Bob Tanem, a local gardener, nursery owner for over 35+ years and radio talk show host in San Francisco (where I've been a guest talking about cavity nesting birds.) You can check out Bob's web site at: http://www.bobtanem.com/

Raccoon Chaser

Use this recipe to create an unpleasant experience for your local racoons. They often do not refrequent a place where they have had an unpleasant experience. Try not to have accessible water nearby.

Captain Crunch Cereal(or similar sugar cereal)

Marshmallows

Hot Tai Pepper

Peanut Butter

Mix in an old aluminum pie plate and place in areas where they do the most damage.

John Schuster...

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I think that the question is, what part of it is unpleasant? The pepper?

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Looks like the pepper in the mix will give them a bad taste in their mouth and it is probably highly unpleasant, much like Tobassco sauce in your ice cream (or something similar).

7. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:if captain crunch kills them then I am going shopping now....

LOL no but it will rot your teeth!!! I believe its the hot pepper that is to be unpleasant for them and keep them from returning. I'm ready to hit sams club and grab an industrial size cyanne pepper can and just dump it all around the outside of my pen! >and i'll keep the capt crunch for my snacks after the kids go to bed<

8. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    If anyone has success with this let us know, it does sound interesting for sure.

9. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:That's what I was trying to find out. I found it by mistake and thought it was interesting.

10. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I think what the recipe does... is add something they LOVE (peanut butter for sure) and then something that is HOT... there is NO water and therefore they cannot get the taste out of their mouth or wash down the peanut butter...

Sounds like it could really work. Probably won't try it unless I start seeing problems with coons, but I definitely would if I was having a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by