Has anyone ever recued a Battery hen?!?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Codyandme1, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    i am new to the whole keeping chickens and was wondering if any one has succesfully rescued a battery hen

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Folks do it all the time. Someone just joined that resecued a few of them. [​IMG]

3. boisefarmgirl

boisefarmgirl New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    I am new as well, what might a battery hen be?

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:They are hens from industrial-scale egg farms where the hens are kept in large groups (batteries) of cages.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

"Battery hens" is the term used mostly in the UK. Here in the U.S.A., we would probably call them "factory chickens." These are hens in the chicken factories producing eggs for the consumer. In cages. Stuffed several to each cage, and never leaving those cages until they die or are taken out to be culled, because their production has fallen. Most battery or factory hens are only two years old, maybe three. But they have never touched ground, never run free, never had a treat in their lives, and all they do is lay eggs. That's their purpose in life.

6. boisefarmgirl

boisefarmgirl New Egg

Jun 1, 2011
    Oh, unfortunate beginnings. Hopefully some love and free range can help. Thank you for clairfying for me. [​IMG]

7. ChIcKeN_DiNnErS

ChIcKeN_DiNnErS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Hi there! New here too, actually new to the whole chicken thing.[​IMG] I've never heard of a battery hen, until mac in abilene and gryeyes explained it in your reply postings, thanks guys! So, are you rescuing one ore are you just thinking about it? Are you keeping chickens for pets, eggs, food?

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, and how rude of me not to welcome you (both) to BYC!!!

This is the place to learn how to do things right, how to fix the things you didn't do right, and to "meet" other like-minded chicken-keeping folks.

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by