Has anyone ever run into...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cherry67, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Cherry67

Cherry67 Chirping

Apr 16, 2019
    A broody hen that didnt turn her eggs? I have a wanna be momma that is a lil over a year old...sitting on 6 eggs. They are developing.. but, I candle them yesterday and I swear it dont seem shes turning them?
    And she literally dont move. Even with food and water in front of her cuz I never seen her off her eggs, even to stretch or drop a stank poop.
    Maybe it is me...but the babies seem "pooled" at one side of the egg and if turned slightly they kinda stay there. I've hatched many a baby, by hen and incubator, but these just look odd to me.
    I will try to get pics later when it lightens up, or a vid.
    Just wondered if this is possible

2. Chloe+chickens=LOVE

Chloe+chickens=LOVE Songster

Jun 14, 2018
    We have always let hens hatch out chicks although I've never witness a hen turn her eggs I'm sure she does because after 21 days us up she has little babys. You shouldn't worry to much I bet she does it when your not looking.

Cherry67 likes this.
  3. Cherry67

Cherry67 Chirping

Apr 16, 2019
    I hope so..its pry just me lol

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I suppose it's possible....has this hen hatched before?

5. Cherry67

Cherry67 Chirping

Apr 16, 2019
    Nope..and shes a 'odd bird' lol

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not all birds that go broody know 'how'.
    Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Cherry67 likes this.
  7. Cherry67

Cherry67 Chirping

Apr 16, 2019
    True..and it ended today for her. I had the incubator fired up, in case. I went to check feed and she was in her area scratching...kicking and rolling the eggs every which way. And pooed on two. I took em, they are in the incubator now.
    Ive got a broody that has been a good momma before...shes been sittin on nothing for a few days. I moved her and put a couple near her to see if she will settle in the new spot. If so..will swap out the eggs and give her the hatch ones. If not..they will stay in the incubator *sigh*

Chloe+chickens=LOVE and aart like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: