1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has Anyone Ever Seen This? " LUMPY " looks better!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickie Mamma, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, this little guy hatched today and on one side of its neck, it has a water filled bubble. Its hard to explain. It stands up, peeps, alert, etc. but it lays down alot. Is there anything I can do? Or should I put it down? ( I wouldn't even know how ). Thanks...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I would just wait and see what happens. If it looks as if the little guy is not going to be ok then I would cull it. [​IMG] I hope it works out for the good.

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thanks.. I was thinking of trying to drain it (pinhole) but I will wait. I want to see if it will try to eat and drink in a couple days. It had a hard time hatching. Thanks again..

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree, the wait and see approach. Some where I swear that I read a bit about chick hatched with water bubble and it turned out fine. Nature may take its course for you.

Good luck!

5. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I had one hatch out like this
    [​IMG]

The lump just seemed to get bigger and at day 5 I knew it wasn't getting better so I had my son cull him. [​IMG]

6. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks Spook! I just didn't know if anyone has seen it before. Its my first time. I have hatched a few batches and never did I see anything like it. It is definately fluid, it moves when touched. I just don't want it to cause any neck problems. I will wait a couple more days. If anyone else ever had this, please reassure me that it will be ok. [​IMG]

7. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Oh, no... [​IMG] Was the lump fluid filled or more solid? If it does not get even a little smaller in a couple days, I will drain it. If it lives... it lives. If it dies, I know I tried. [​IMG]

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    It was more of a tumor, not like liquid filled. Maybe your chickie absorbed liquid from the humidity in the bator and it will absorb it into it's system. Good luck

9. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Yeah, I had to help it a little. It had alot of liquid in the shell. I was afraid it would drown. The humidity was at 60%. The other 2 that hatched were fine. Lets just hope it clears up. My kids named it "Lumpy". [​IMG]

10. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    as long as its not causing harm/pain i would let it be, it is probably something that will clear up in a few days. Good Luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by