Has anyone ever seen this on a turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by DebbieF, Sep 9, 2011.

1. DebbieF

DebbieF Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    New Richmond, WI
    I hatched this turkey poult earlier this summer. I only have bronze, blue slate, narrs, black spanish turkeys, I've never seen a "crested turkey" before though.[​IMG]

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Haven't ever seen that. How cute!

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have heard of it, but never seen it. Might want to keep that one and breed it!

4. Breac

Breac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I've never seen anything like that! I'd try try breeding him/her, if I were you.

5. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    Quote:x2 That is awesome!

6. DebbieF

DebbieF Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    New Richmond, WI
    I do plan to keep her, at first I thought it was some kind of tumor or growth, but it's just feathers.

7. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    It is interesting that all the responses so far are in favor of breeding that turkey and trying to continue the tufted trait. Certainly everyone can have their own opinion. If I hatched a bird like that, it would be the first on the freezer camp list. But then again, I don't like the "fancy" chickens, either.

But don't let what I think influence you. If you like the appearance of that turkey, by all means keep it. Just be careful breeding it, and if you ever distribute offspring, please be sure to let the new owners know that your line of turkeys carries such a trait so they are not surprised! [​IMG]

Have fun!

8. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I posted this to another group that I belong to, and somebody mentioned that there is a possibility that crested ducks are crested because the skull is deformed. They were wondering if the same might be true for turkeys.

And Laggerdogger, one reason I suggested breeding is because there could well be a market for crested turkeys. Personal preference or not, there are folks who would love something like that.

9. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Quote:Absolutely there are! That is why I suggested that the DebbieF not let my opinion affect her choice of what to do. My dissenting opinion was not meant to invalidate anyone else's opinion. After all, if we all had the same opinion of what a turkey should look like, there would only be one color of turkey, and how fun would that be? Well, still more fun than chickens, but not as fun as it is now... [​IMG]

10. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Crested tukeys! Oh yea. I'd definately be trying to breed them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by