Has anyone ever seen this, what is it and can I eat them? YUK!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick rookie, Dec 24, 2013.

1. chick rookie

chick rookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    I collected eggs today and some of them looked like this,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I collect in the morning and at bed time. I have never seen this and am scared to eat them. Is something wrong with my hens?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Wow, that's odd. It almost looks like there is something in the nest staining them, like some spilled oil or something. Have you given them any medication recently? Honestly, I would probably eat them, if they didn't look or smell strange inside. I get small specks frequently, but I don't recall anything like that.

Here is a link about causes of stained eggs:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/25/stained-eggsV

2 people like this.
  3. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    thanks for the site, I found it interesting, lots to learn, but nothing hit me. so I just don't know. I checked the nest they are all clean as I just changed the bedding and I have not given any meds. So I have no clue??? [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Did you use a new type of bedding in the nest boxes?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do they have diarrhea? Only thing is, that diarrhea doesn't really seem like it would cause the pattern on the eggshells that is there.

Hmm I don't know the answer to this one.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    With all the eggs looking like that, it's something environmental, not something wrong with the hens. My eggs sometimes get staining from setting damp if I have to wash them, or if a hen lays in the run and the egg sits in the mud. I eat them anyway, they're just fine. I'd re-check the nest boxes--did this just start when you cleaned the boxes?

7. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    I was given 6 bags of pine and used it on the floor, but kept the straw in the boxes, new straw but always use straw in winter.

No diarrhea. a couple are sneezing, but thats it.

8. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    [​IMG]
    cracked one open, a little bit of a watery whites but this egg came from one of my older hens and I often get eggs like that from her. I cleaned the house and boxes day before I got these eggs. but same kind of metrial in boxes, different on the floor. my bf did find some blk mold on a back wall. He found it has been leaking inside and down the wall in all that rain we had last week I guess. but we gave the coop some extra vents as it is too cold to take the wall out and replace it right now, single digetts to low teens in the day time right now. o and fixed the leak.

9. chick rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Terre Haute, In
    BTW Merry Christmas every one hope Santa is good to all.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmmm they look like they've been sitting in some kind of liquid.
    With the watery white, I wonder if shell porosity could lead to this? Just a wild guess, but maybe candle a few and see if the shells are porous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by