1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone ever seen this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starsleeve, Nov 21, 2015.

1. starsleeve

starsleeve New Egg

Nov 1, 2015
    Pensacola Florida
    I got two SLW from a seed and feed shop back in May. One has developed normally and is laying. Her sister seems to have stopped developing...the comb and wattle stopped growing and is still pink. Has anyone ever seen this?
    I tried to upload a pic but it's not working

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like something could be wrong with her, either a disease, or something internal, have you noticed any symptoms that might indicate she's sick, things like Mareks will show up around five months, and climate change in the fall can stress them enough to become ill, combs will shrink and lose their color when they are unwell, or when going out of lay. So check her over good.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She is probably just slower to mature. Every bird matures at their own rate.

4. starsleeve

starsleeve New Egg

Nov 1, 2015
    Pensacola Florida
    No signs of Merk. She is healthy and acts like the rest of the flock

5. starsleeve

starsleeve New Egg

Nov 1, 2015
    Pensacola Florida
    No signs of sickness or Merk. She appears healthy and acts like the rest of the flock.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Then I would just give her time, as Happy Chocks said some can be slower to develop. I'm glad to hear she is healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by