Has anyone ever seen....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kat242, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Kat242

Kat242 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Alright I'll try to explain this the best I can, and Monday when I get pc back I'll upload pics.

Has anyone ever have half of an egg develop? Its day 14 and i candled my eggs for the 2nd time and one egg has a live moving baby but if you were to divide the egg in half length wise starting from big end to little one side has a chick ,vains, movement ect. The other side completely clear.... as in nothing

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Pics?

3. Kat242

Feb 28, 2013
    Ok used camera on kindle, not the best pics in the world but i think you can see what im talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Just taking a guess here but could it be a double yolked egg with only one half fertilised? If so, it's going to be an unpleasant mess when it hatches, if it gets that far. Please keep us posted as I will be interested to hear how it gets on. Good luck to it.

5. Kat242

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking but since I've never seen that before wasn't sure.

6. Kat242

Feb 28, 2013
    Ok just a slight Update, Its day 18 and I candled everyone again. (8 in total) Everyone is still looking good... The half twin one, is really peculiar, the chick is differently still moving around in their, but now their are definitely some veins in the side with no chick. I tried to get pics but the shadowing was to much to see anything with either my phone or my kindle and sadly hubby took the real camera with him on his trip out of town.

7. Kat242

Feb 28, 2013
    I am a proud moma of 6 baby chicks,yay!!! But I have a question, the one with the extra yoke.. is slightly weaker then the rest, not enough to be overly concerned about. But enough that im unsure if I should wash all the gunk off of. I did a bit when it first hatched hoping to get it before it dryed on it... but apparently not enough. It's poor fluffy down is more like it was bathed in hair spray and still looks very much wet but isn't. Does anyone have any recommendations?

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Congratulations on your hatch and particularly this special one. Afraid I can't give experienced advice on this but my gut feeling would be to wash it very gently in a mild soap.... I doubt warm water on it's own would clean the yolk off and I would be concerned that it would be a breeding ground for germs.... do be better guided by any more experienced advice you get though and good luck.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What do you mean by extra yolk? Was there an unhatched twin in the egg, or are you talking about it having an unabsorbed or ruptured yolk sac? If the latter, I'd be concerned about introducing bacteria into the umbilicus with a bath. If the umbilicus looks fine, then you could go ahead and do a gentle bath. Don't do any rubbing at the umbilicus. You might even want to dab some triple antibiotic on that before proceeding with the clean up.

10. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Would be interesting to see a photo to see how much stuff he has on him, but my last two looked wet for ages, they took about three days to finally fluff up after hatching, but eventually they did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by