Has anyone ever taken a road trip with their eggs during lock down?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Belinda's Funny Farm, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Belinda's Funny Farm

Belinda's Funny Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Texas
    Question: Am I crazy. [​IMG] I am leaving tomorrow (Thursday) evening for a road trip for 4 days and will be back on Monday evening. My eggs are supposed to go into lock down on Friday morning and hatch on Monday. I was going to put them in lock down a little early before I left on Thursday evening. But.......... what if I took them with me on the road????? I have a Brinsea 20 Advance that I could use a converter and plug into my cigarette lighter. Okay, I just tested it and it worked and the temperature started to climb. My main concern is what about the movement of the truck and moving the incubator back and forth from the vehicle to the motel rooms etc....... Has anyone ever traveled with their eggs while they are in lock down? Are they better off just left at home with nobody to watch over for them.....? This is my first hatch and I hate to miss it.

Thanks for your input!
    Belinda

2. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I would go into lockdown early especially if you will be home on hatch day. I always have the best hatches when I am not home to mess with them (ie open the incubator to try and help lol). That is just my opinion though! Plus it will be such a great welcome home when all of the little fluffy babies are there to greet you!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Since it is your first hatch, I would say go ahead and try taking them along. As long as temp and humidity stay steady, they will be fine and you will get to watch. Unless you are going to be driving when they hatch. Most people can't keep their eyes off the incubator during their first hatch! [​IMG]

4. Belinda's Funny Farm

Jun 9, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:Thanks! Nope, I won't be driving. And once I get there I will be in the same place for 2 days and then the trip home again on Monday. The trip there is divided into 2 days so it will just be 6 hours a day. We will be driving 12 hours straight on Monday to get home so no Motel that night. The scary part is that on Monday, the day they are supposed to hatch is the day I will be traveling with them the longest. But, the best thing about Monday and being stuck in a car with them while traveling is I won't have anything else to do but watch them hatch. [​IMG]

I still need to convince my DH that this is a good idea. He thinks I am nuts.....

5. Belinda's Funny Farm

Jun 9, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:You are probably right, but not the answer I was wanting....[​IMG] Thanks though, I have a feeling my DH is going to agree with you.....

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I was curious ... what happened with your hatch? Did you take them with you?

7. Belinda's Funny Farm

Jun 9, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:I did take them with me and the first chick hatched an hour after I got back home with them last night. I guess they didn't want to be born in a vehicle. I was worried though as we made a sharp turn when we first left on Thursday evening and my bater tipped and two eggs fell out of the carton and one cracked. I figured I lost it but it hatch this morning......[​IMG]

8. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    "Three Cedars Silkies" took her bator on vacation....wrote a very interesting thread about it and even posted pics of everything along the way. She had a VERY successful hatch....

9. Belinda's Funny Farm

Jun 9, 2010
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by