has anyone ever tried fly predator

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crystalchic, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
  2. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

I have used the fly predator in and around my horses. However I found that the Muscovy Ducks did a better job at a one time cost. And yes the chickens do eat the fly predators if they can.

ETA: By the way we did see a noticeable reduction in numbers when we used the program.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

The barn owner where we board our horse uses them every year. They seam to help out somewhat, although I'm all about the chemically inspired "Kill em on contact" method....

4. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    We've been using them for 5 years and love them. Adding the chickens seems to have helped eliminate the flys even more.

We order them direct from http://www.spalding-labs.com/

Release
    timing is very important, to get them out before, the flies get out of hand.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    So THAT'S what was crawling all over our compost pile....

6. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I used them last year and was told to give them another year to establish. Seemed to be working but You cannot use any fly spray on or around the horses because it will kill the predators. Go figure, because it does not kill flies just REPELS them. My veterinarian swears by them for his cattle ranch. I went back to the kill them on contact method like posted above, because it makes me feel better to see a bunch dead in the run in shed. We also have wind which dries up the manure pile and I feel they were blowing away. Matter of opinion so I Hope they work for you!

7. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:Fly spray on the horses really shouldn't affect the predators. They spend most their life around the manure pile looking for fly pupae. The only ones that might be killed are the ones right next to the horses.

8. FarmerCarl

FarmerCarl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    West Michigan
    LOVE THEM! I couldn't live out here without 'em. Chickens will eat the fly predator "eggs" before they hatch so you have to keep them out of their reach. I get mine from Spalding Labs too. Visit the link to their website and you'll learn everything you need to know.

Don't wait because they kill the flies BEFORE they hatch. Order some now! [​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    IME with horses, it's worth a try if you have the spare cash (remember you have to buy them repeatedly throughout the season) and are the only livestock around.

However, if there are a bunch of other livestock within easy flying distance (like a quarter mile or less), the effect of your fly predators tends to get swamped out by flies wandering in from the neighbors' cowpats and horse manure piles and such.

Good luck,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by