1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone ever tried the "Frying Pan Special" from Murray McMurray?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Denninmi, May 16, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Just curious, what did you think. The price is very cheap.

I realize not Cornish Cross, but still would make decent meat birds, right?

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I wouldn't.
    Because the frying pan special is Leghorn cockerels, which take three times as much feed to grow as Cornish Xs do, and Leghorns are skinny little chickens. I'd spend more and get the Cornish Xs, because then you will have nice meaty birds in 8-10 weeks, as opposed to waiting up to four months for skinny, annoying, and obnoxious little cockerels.
    Just my $0.02!

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    "fry pan special" is what the hatcheries call leftover laying breed roo chicks. they provide a very small skinny rangy carcass, however they forage well. I personallly don't like them for meat becasue I like the thick tender birds. Many people and especially different ethinic groups far prefer these birds. So it's a taste thing mostly, if your curious try them theres not much to loose. My gardeners buy up all my scrawny little culls and turn their noses up at my fat CXs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by