Has anyone ever used a childs heavy duty plastic Play house as a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mushroomman1856, May 15, 2010.

1. Mushroomman1856

Mushroomman1856 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Has anyone ever used a childs heavy duty plastic Play house as a coop.... Because thats what I plan on using and convert it into a chicken tractor? MM

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup. Not a tractor, though. I'm happy with it. Reserving judgment on how many hens can live comfortably in there during our Northwest winter. Planned for 6, but I may have to reduce the flock if they seem crowded once full grown. Just finished this the first of last week.

This is in the beginning:
    [​IMG]

This is it with run built:
    [​IMG]

And wire installed on run and under coop:
    [​IMG]

Interior shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mushroomman1856

Mushroomman1856 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Very nice, good work, ceramic tile for easy cleaning, I'm gunna chicken wire the botom of mine and a set of wheels in the back, and construct a 4X4x8 ft run out the side window. the roof of mine comes of easily for checking boxes and food and water. My wife thinks i'm insane. My kids love the little chicks, and my daughter is in love with Fred our rooster I have 2 chicks one looks like he's gunna be a rooster ( we may name him Barney) that are 6 weeks one grown rooster ( Fred )I think he is a langshon they are in the coop now the weather is nicer now and I have 5 chicks under light in the garage that are 2 weeks old. A husband of a friend got me into this. My dad had lots of chickens and turkey when i was in college. Now that I'm a dad I wanted my kids to be exposed to the fun of chickens. MM

4. chkchkchkee

chkchkchkee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    Essexville, Michigan
    Well Ms. Jean, I am very very impressed! That is so darn cute! Job Well done![​IMG]
    Kathy in Oklahoma dodging tornados![​IMG]

5. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    There is a gentleman down the road from me who uses playhouses for his flock. He has created a very interesting assortment of 'homes' for his hens. The place looks like a daycare center for humans! I spoke to him a while ago and he is pleased with the playhouses but notes they are not built for durability and the structures usually lasts about 3 years. However he says they are cheap and easy to replace. He also has an old van he converted as a hen house and when you drive past his place it looks like the hens are driving.

7. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    Jean,

You did a fantastic job with that playhouse and run!
    Looks great, kinda like a habitt trail for chickens.

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Frankly I think this is genius and I thought of it in response to mites... It would work good against them as there is no porous surface to hide in... easy to clean too!! good job.

9. Ms. Cluckingly

Ms. Cluckingly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I never tire of seeing these pics! GREAT job!! I love it! [​IMG]

10. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice set-up MotherJean! I've seen those plastic play houses at yard sales, now I'll give them a good looking over!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by