has anyone ever used sand/stall dry mixure in brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maf2008, Nov 29, 2009.

1. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    (I think I put this under meat birds section by mistake...)

has anyone ever used A 1/2 inch to 1 inch of sand/stall dry mixure under pine shavings in brooder?- just curious to see if it will keep down the wetness to prevent cocci?

I have added bedding pine shavings every few days to keep dry.... but if 2 or 3 week old chicks scratch to the wet area they get cocci - weather or not I add apple cider vinager or even any other treatments like......antibotic/ sulmet/ or corrid I thought of adding a scoop of non clumping cat litter... But it looks like the food too much.. any POSITIVE responses will be appreciated [​IMG]

Any other ideas to SAFELY absorb urine in the brooders? I use large dog cages and its hard to lift a 50 lb crate to clean under it... every single day... I want to PREVENT WETNESS - [​IMG]

2. VTGIRL

VTGIRL Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Vermont
    Kinda confused...(it's me not you)

I'm assuming that your chicks are outside on dirt/ground if you think they will get Cocci? I just went through a bought of Cocci with my 4 month old birds who are outside. I too have 3 week old chicks but they are inside the house in a rabbit pen. which has a sliding pan in the base. I laid cardboard on half for the birds feet and the other half (grate bottom)is where i put their food and water. For the most part everything drops down into the pan. On the cardboard is newspaper which gets changed out twice daily (morning, night) everyone seems to be doing well with that. I'm curious to read an answer to your post.

Sorry I'm no help [​IMG]

3. candyNflowers

candyNflowers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Albany, Oregon
    My Coop
    I am using stall dry in my brooder without shavings currently but it hasnt been long yet. also using stall dry on the poop shelf in the coop and I am really liking it there. I use a lizard scoop to sift the sandy particles from the poop, makes for quick clean up. I currently have pine pellets in the rest of the coop but thinking of switching to sand and have sand in the run.-lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by