Has anyone ever used WormGuard Plus for you chickens?

organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
Trafalgar, IN
I thought about using Wazine, but I don't want to put poison into my birds.

So I found this today and wanted to know if any of you use it and what were the results? http://www.theholistichorse.com/Poultry.shtml

It's
called WormGuard Plus.

I have no idea where I could buy food grade DE. I actually was looking for it last year to put into my garden because slugs were eating my pole beans and I couldn't find it any where.

If you could direct me to a site that sells it for cheap it would be much appreciated.

I'd also like to know what stores sell it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am very reluctant to put anything in my animals (or myself) if I don't know the ingredients.

What type of worms are you targeting? Or are you doing just broad-spectrum?

Yes. Because I have no idea what's going on in their little bodies.

I'm assuming that they haven't been wormed before.......since they are still young.

This stuff that I'm wanting to know about is a broad spectrum treatment and it's all natural.

I was able to get food grade DE on Ebay - fair price and fast shipping, and smaller amounts. Check the other "worming" threads on BYC however as it is not a recommended "wormer", rather a deterent between wormings. I am new at this whole chicken thing, but that is one thing I have read a lot about on this site. Good luck!

This wormer says that it will kill all parasites because it scratches their exoskeletons. I'd imagine that it would work just as good as the poison. People don't like to call it that but that's what it is.

We are trying to be organic/natural and I think by using those other medications I'd be a hypocrite.

Thank and you and I have read up on other methods of worming but I'm trying to keep them, their eggs, and their chicks healthy.

I really appreciate it!

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken "wormguard" is a fancy name for DE. IMO, DE works fine as a preventive, but it's not a fix. Perhaps the best way to handle it so that you can stay au natural if at all possible, is to take a fecal sample to the vet. If the fecal sample is clear, you won't worm unnecessarily.

If I remember correctly, there was an article in the last issue of Poultry magazine regarding natural worming of chickens. I think it involved pumpkin (with seeds), garlic, and I don't remember the other natural ingredients. You may want to look it up, and see if it is what you are looking for, though.
As for the food grade DE, I had trouble finding it locally. We were sent some coupons for Layena, through the mail, and went to smaller, out-of-the-way feed stores as stipulated on the coupons, and found food Grade DE at two places. I had to buy what I think is a 50 pound bag, but I did find it. You might try looking up every feed store in your neck of the woods, and call them before you go. It does have to say food Codex on the bag to be considered food grade, if that helps.

Ok, I did some looking up - I bought food grade DE from Wolf_creek_ranch on Ebay - I had it on my doorstep almost faster than going to the feed store, and the price, including shipping was very fair - especially since I didn't have to drive anywhere and make a bunch of phone calls, only to have to buy a 50 pound bag. You can get it in 1 pound bags or more. There are several listings going on right now - I just know that Wolf_creek did a great job for me.

Back
Top Bottom