Has anyone ever...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hennypenny9, Mar 4, 2009.

1. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Heard of training a cat to use a human toilet? A while ago I read about it, bought a kit, and started. Charlie (my cat) is not yet fully trained, but consistently goes straight into the toilet water. I know that some people are against it because cats naturally bury their waste to cover the smell. Water does the same job, and Charlie hasn't had any issues. I really haven't found an active forum, and was just wondering if I'm the only one. It's really great so far. I haven't bought litter in months. I don't need to clean a box, just flush. And there is next to no smell. He doesn't have trouble balancing on the seat. He doesn't have trouble aiming, either, lol. I'm kind of afraid of getting "don't try to make a cat do something unnatural" but just know that Charlie has taken to this easily. Once I went out of town and was forced to switch back to a litter box. When I got home and replaced the kit on the toilet he jumped up and went right away.

Just wondering, since everyone here has so many animals. And are generally very nice and helpful. [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    And from what I hear, you can actually train them to FLUSH!

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have heard about it, had a cat that flushed the toilet but would not go in it. I don't have the time or patience to train a cat to do that.

4. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    Yes it definitely CAN be done. My uncle had cats that used the human toilet. I remember them when I'd accompany my grandmother to visit. One time my grandmother pulled down her pants to use the toilet and felt the furry cat on her bum. She told and retold that story so I couldn't forget about the cat sitting on the toilet at my uncle's house.

5. hennypenny9

Quote:Yeah, I'm not going to train him to flush because he'll just sit and flush to watch the water go around...

6. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    Quote:Yeah, I'm not going to train him to flush because he'll just sit and flush to watch the water go around...

Like that one kitty on a YouTube video, here:

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I love that video!

8. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Actualy, I have. I have seen clear toilet seat covers at petco that you cover with litter and train them for a week or so and then take it off after they've got the hang of it and they're suppose to be potty trained. Im just wondering what happens after taking it off, the next time the cat goes to sit down and theres nothing covering it!, guess you'll have a wet cat then [​IMG]

9. hennypenny9

Quote:Oh goodness! The kit I bought is called the Litter Kwitter, http://www.litterkwitter.com/en/index.php and it uses rings to slowly expand the area open to the toilet water. Charlie started aiming for the water as soon as he could see it. [​IMG]

10. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I have one cat who always used the toilet though no one trained her, she in turn trained the stray kitten we found, and the pregnant cat that turned up last winter uses it sometimes but also uses a litter tray.

If only I could teach the chickens and horses to poop in one place my life would be soooo easy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by