Has anyone ever....?

If you make a clicking noise and toss out treats at the same time, they will associate the clicking noise with food. I don't use a clicker, just make the clicking noise with my tongue and mine come running.

A few of mine do know their names, but my alpha roo will come to me when I call his name. It blows some people's minds when they see it for themselves. Rupert can be standing in the midst of the flock and I'll call out his name and motion for him to come. Both his daddy and grandmother knew their names too and came when called.

Most of my chickens will come to "Here, chickie, chickie!" or "Here, babies!" lol! They respond better if they think I have food, though.

I just say "Hey, chickens!" They come running.... and I'd better have treats!
wink.png
tongue.png
cool.png

I can call, whistle, scream or anything else and my chickens will not flinch. I "bock bock" at them "like I have done every time I bring them treats" and they will run from 500 feet away like they are running a marathon to get to me. I don't have to do it more than once either
lol.png
Kind of cool to watch 20 or so chickens run wide open from all directions to your feet in a matter of seconds.

I use a clicking sound with my tongue it is similar to the sound my rooster uses when he find food. I had better have food also

Sure. Just give treats and use the same call every time. They learn fast when food is involved. Mine come running (well, whatever that is, waddle-running?) They're pretty funny if they are way across the yard, they apparently get partway to me and forget why they're running and stop, so I call again and maybe a third time til they get all the way to me. My younger ones haven't all caught on yet, but they will.

Some people use the same treats bucket and get them trained to the bucket.

All I have to do anymore is open the back screen door and they come running!
lol.png
Of course, if they are out in the pasture I take the raisin bag and give it a little shake and just call to them and here they come. It always works out better for me and there is less stink eye if I have treats.
roll.png
I now open the back screen door slowly if I have no treats to avoid the inevitable dirty looks.

When I say "here chick, chick, chick, chick, chicken!" then they will come running to me. To train them to do this just say the phrase or noise you want them to come to before you give them any treats.

Back
Top Bottom