Has anyone ever....?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickGirl4Life, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ChickGirl4Life

ChickGirl4Life Out Of The Brooder

Has anyone ever trained their chicken(s)to come to you by whistle or something else? I was wondering if there would be a possiblity of that.

2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    Not by a whistle, but I bet you could teach them to come when you call them...

3. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    If you make a clicking noise and toss out treats at the same time, they will associate the clicking noise with food. I don't use a clicker, just make the clicking noise with my tongue and mine come running.

A few of mine do know their names, but my alpha roo will come to me when I call his name. It blows some people's minds when they see it for themselves. Rupert can be standing in the midst of the flock and I'll call out his name and motion for him to come. Both his daddy and grandmother knew their names too and came when called.

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Most of my chickens will come to "Here, chickie, chickie!" or "Here, babies!" lol! They respond better if they think I have food, though.

5. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I just say "Hey, chickens!" They come running.... and I'd better have treats! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Young Heritage

Young Heritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2010
    Monterey TN
    I can call, whistle, scream or anything else and my chickens will not flinch. I "bock bock" at them "like I have done every time I bring them treats" and they will run from 500 feet away like they are running a marathon to get to me. I don't have to do it more than once either [​IMG] Kind of cool to watch 20 or so chickens run wide open from all directions to your feet in a matter of seconds.

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I use a clicking sound with my tongue it is similar to the sound my rooster uses when he find food. I had better have food also

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sure. Just give treats and use the same call every time. They learn fast when food is involved. Mine come running (well, whatever that is, waddle-running?) They're pretty funny if they are way across the yard, they apparently get partway to me and forget why they're running and stop, so I call again and maybe a third time til they get all the way to me. My younger ones haven't all caught on yet, but they will.

Some people use the same treats bucket and get them trained to the bucket.

9. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    All I have to do anymore is open the back screen door and they come running! [​IMG] Of course, if they are out in the pasture I take the raisin bag and give it a little shake and just call to them and here they come. It always works out better for me and there is less stink eye if I have treats. [​IMG] I now open the back screen door slowly if I have no treats to avoid the inevitable dirty looks.

10. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    When I say "here chick, chick, chick, chick, chicken!" then they will come running to me. To train them to do this just say the phrase or noise you want them to come to before you give them any treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by