Has Anyone Ever????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Faerytalefarm, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Anyone ever used a portable building for their chickens? I was thinking of putting little doors in that go out to individual runs for each color group. Their coops would be inside and secured at night. Seems like a good idea but I thought I would ask first! [​IMG]

2. Nako

Nako Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    Sounds like it would work great. Might be a bit expensive unless you already own the portable.

3. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    True but probably less expensive than 6-8 individual areas. It just seems most convenient as far as hatching, brooder, coops, runs etc all in one place.

4. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty sure someone on here has done it. I have seen some pretty ingenious set ups on here built out of what was available. Good luck!

5. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:Thanks! I'm just trying to think permanent and long term. After investing a fairly good amount of $ on nice birds from great breeders, I would like to have a set up worthy of them. [​IMG]

6. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I am. It can be moved through the yard and it's safe. Are chicks are little so they in it yet, but they will be soon.

7. angie3881

Quote:Thanks! I'm just trying to think permanent and long term. After investing a fairly good amount of $ on nice birds from great breeders, I would like to have a set up worthy of them. [​IMG]

I say go for it! Make mistakes to figure out what works best. There are so many neat coop ideas and helpful threads it will knock your socks off! Best of luck! Hopefully you can post some pics when you are all set up!!

8. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011

I say go for it! Make mistakes to figure out what works best. There are so many neat coop ideas and helpful threads it will knock your socks off! Best of luck! Hopefully you can post some pics when you are all set up!!

Thanks! Now if I just knew how to draw up plans! With custom home builders in the family you would think that would be easy![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  9. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:Thanks! I'm actually talking about a 10' x 24' actual building. I want mini "dog doors" for each run. This way they can get in and out when they want but I can lock them up every night as well as during bad weather. The building would have electricity for heat lamps, bators etc. It just seems to be the safest and best set up for a number of runs.

10. angie3881

Quote:I say go for it! Make mistakes to figure out what works best. There are so many neat coop ideas and helpful threads it will knock your socks off! Best of luck! Hopefully you can post some pics when you are all set up!!

Thanks! Now if I just knew how to draw up plans! With custom home builders in the family you would think that would be easy![​IMG]

That must be like the custom mechanics and fence builders in my family... Yep, brakes still squeaking and beginning to grind a bit and chain link fence is still "in storage" under the toungue of the camper! Living the dream, here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by