Has anyone every used the horse pine pellets in their coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gumpsgirl, Aug 29, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I was wondering because when I went to TSC today to get pine shavings to clean the coop out, they were out but I did see the pine pellets. I thought about getting some, but in the end decided not to. I was to nervous that the chickens would eat them! I didn't know exactly how big that they ended up after they expanded, so I thought it was best to hold off until I found out if anyone has ever used them or not before in their coops. They look like you would end up with more per square foot, so they would be less expensive in the long run, BUT like I said before, I was scared the chickens would eat them! [​IMG]

Anyone???

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey, Gumps!

I asked that same question a couple of months ago. There are folks on here that have used them, but I think they are actually too absorbent for chicken poo. I use them for my horses, but the equivalent number of bags it would take to cover the floor of my coop would cost WAY more than shavings do and, you need to rake them around each day to distribute the wet parts in order for them to work best. I think they might try to eat them, but once they realized they tasted icky, they'd probably spit it right back out.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I have used them in the brooder, or the pellet stove wood pellets. I haven't used them in the coop. I think if the coop is small enough, it wouldn't be bad.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks Wynette! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm glad that I didn't get them. [​IMG]

DC - My main coop definitely would be to big, according to Wynette's description of how I would have to rake them around everyday and such. The smaller coop might work, but I definitely don't need to add to my work load around here! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I have used them in the brooder, or the pellet stove wood pellets.

dc - do you have pics of your brooder with pellets in it?

[​IMG]

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I use them and I love them. They were cheap, $4.99 for a 50 lb bag, and I think I used six of them to cover my 10x10' coop. They have been excellent, there's no smell, they kind of 'burst' when they get wet and the whole floor is all fluffy with them now, about 2-3" deep. They compost well, that's why I went with them. The layer out there has been there for over seven weeks and I'm still pleased with how things smell - no excessive stirring required. And the girls have never tried to eat them, I watched to make sure, they scratch them aside and look below for goodies, although nothing's growing in there yet for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by