Has anyone given Tramadol to a chicken for pain?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theacw, Sep 25, 2012.

1. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    My hen who has been limping for over a month with an infection doesnt seem to be getting any relief after a visit to the vet 8 days ago. The metcam hasnt eased her pain at all and I dont see much of an improvement in her limp. The baytril has seemed to help the redness/infection.

She is going to research Tramadol to see if this is something we can use. Has anyone else used it?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What is the cause of the infection? If it's bumblefoot, minor surgery will take care of this problem. Staph infection caused by bumblefoot will eventually kill a chicken.

3. theacw

May 7, 2011
    MN
    We are not sure, we found no area that looks like where it started. It was red around her "knee" but it was also red on her scales. Xrays taken, nothing showed up. It is definitely not bumble foot though, her feet look completely normal.

I am nervous to have a bad reaction to this medicine

This is her leg the day before the vet visit, redness has gone down especially around the knee. Limping has not improved much. The redness showed up 2 weeks after the limping though

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. theacw

May 7, 2011
    MN
    I am very open to opinions on what is wrong since the vet and I are not sure :)

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since it's not bumblefoot, it could several possibilities: Gout, MS, or mites.
    Gout usually causes swelling around joints, can cause a bird to limp. I dont see swelling in the pic...unless you see swelling.
    Mycoplasma Synoviae (MS) also causes swelling, also other symptoms. Again I dont see any swelling.
    Mites can cause redness/swelling. Try Nu-Stock on the affected area and see if that helps. Or a long course of vaseline treatment on the area.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Haven't used it in a chicken, but my Avian Vet did give me some for a 7-10 pound (can't remember) Muscovy Duck. He got 1/2 a 50mg tablet twice a day. I use this vet office: http://www.aecvets.com/ . Maybe your vet could talk to them?

-Kathy

7. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    My dog takes tramadol and use to take metacam. If I remember correctly they can not be mixed and our dog had to be off of metacam for awhile before starting the tramadol... can't quite remember. I'd do some research first, I would assume it would be the same for a chicken? Best of luck.

8. theacw

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Wow, thanks for the feedback guys.

Especially regarding mixing the two because that's what she had suggested. We have been working together but she is not as familiar with chickens but I am just happy she will see my chickens. She sees more the "pet birds" I will have to ask about mixing the two.... Thank you SO so so much for telling me, I would have been so upset if something happened! I suppose if ducks can, a chicken can take them.

Any idea how long off the metacam before starting?

There was never any swelling in the joint so I suppose I can rule out the first two. I have never seen mites but where and how would I go about checking?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by