1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone gone from eggs laying down to eggs in cartons for hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Kitty, May 26, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm incubating in a Brower top hatch and it's about time to "lock it down". I would like to try the egg carton method and am wondering, if with the eggs having been on their sides, it is okay or if I should leave them on their sides?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I think you have to try and see if it works for you personally. It works for me so that if the way I have been hatching. It works the other way too. The advantage to carton hatch is less clean up.

3. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I've read many posts and seen some hatching that way and that is why I wanted to try it. I'm just wondering if it would be a problem where they have been on their sides and not upright like they will be in the cartons.

4. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I don't have the anwser to that one Kitty as i use turners.

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I incubated all of mine on their sides until day 18...well, actually more like late on day 17... I candled all of them and put them in cartons for hatching. Hatched 20 out of 25 no problems with the cartons what-so-ever. My first pip I discovered by accident and it was low so I just propped it on it's side a little more so.... it hatched too. [​IMG]

6. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Good, I was hoping that I could do it. So egg cartons it is!

7. mountainman

mountainman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Eastern, KY.
    After having a lot of pipped eggs that got rolled around and didn't hatch, I done just exactly what you want to do. I put them in cartons on day 18 and had 72 of 78 hatch! I was sold!! I have since hatched all mine in cartons every time. Now, I got rid of the turner and put them in cartons from day one and just prop up the cartons from side to side. My last two hatches of nearly 100 eggs each, were at about 98% hatch rate.
    I love the cartons!
    Kelly

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I'm trying my first carton hatch too and mine are due to hatch tomorrow and the next day [​IMG] I have Serama's and Giant cochins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by