Has anyone gone through the NPIP process in South Carolina

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chickiepoo2, Dec 10, 2008.

1. chickiepoo2

chickiepoo2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    I think I have a general idea on how it works. I know you have the state vet come out, draw blood etc. I saw they also have a class held twice a year. Has anyone attended the class? How much did the vet visit cost? I live 4 hrs away from Clemson....wonder how much that would be. Any other thoughts, opinions or concerns about the process I should know about? Can you "fail"? Thanks !!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

2. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Might be the easiest state ever to get tested for Pullorum. Just call Julie. A tester will appear.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  3. wadek2008

wadek2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    In NC, they just charge 10 cents a bird, $5 minimum. I think you don't pass if you test positive, but I think that's rare.

4. chickiepoo2

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks wade. Was there a class or seminar you had to attend as well? Do they look for anything specific when doing an inspection?

5. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    The classes are for you to become an accredited tester. This test is so simple anyone can do it. There is no charge for testing in SC. Contact Dr. Julie Helms at Clemson. [email protected]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  6. chickiepoo2

Nov 11, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    It just doesn't seem like it should be that easy. I won't complain though! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by